It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:56 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Rock Creek Conditions?

Anyone know the condition of Rock Creek Road, oh Lords of the East Side? how far up can a high-clearance suv make it towards mosquito flat?

thx!
Read more : Rock Creek Conditions? | Views : 2207 | Replies : 5

Ventana Camp Trail in Ventana Wilderness

Has anyone been up the Pine Ridge trail and down the Ventana Camp trail in the Ventana wilderness recently? If so is the trail passable and camp in reasonable shape? The ventanawild.org website had no recent information on the Ventana Camp trail, and the Big Sur Station ranger I talked to said he though it was open but hadn't heard anything recently.
Read more : Ventana Camp Trail in Ventana Wilderness | Views : 4657 | Replies : 6

Horseshoe Meadows

I am thinking of going on a trip near horseshoe meadows in a few months. When do you think the road to the meadows is normally snow-free? Thanks in advance.
Read more : Horseshoe Meadows | Views : 1566 | Replies : 2

Thoughts on descent from Casaval...

I've read it all, just wondering what your favorite route down the mountain is. Do most of you pack up base camp after the summit/bring it with you? West Face Gully or the Gulch?
Thanks
Read more : Thoughts on descent from Casaval... | Views : 1684 | Replies : 7

Wild flowers around Merced River?

Hi,
I was wondering whether the wild flowers are already blooming nearby Merced River and Yosemite? I would also be very grateful for any suggestions of the best locations for watching the blooms. I remember last year there were amazing fields of poppy on the slopes of Merced River close to El Portal. Any other suggestions? Thank you so much!
Gosia
Read more : Wild flowers around Merced River? | Views : 1754 | Replies : 7

sierra local wants to climb shasta

hey-
so Im looking for a good solo up moderate snow/ice- nothing too epic, but fun this Spring- being a desert rat, my snow gymnastics and judgment are skewed from perf' conditions.
So its out there. i looking for recent photos - route recommendations - and a few sandbag routes to gimme a workout -
Im not opposed to a partner, but its just shasta right -
prove me wrong -

Mike
Read more : sierra local wants to climb shasta | Views : 1308 | Replies : 6

First california condor nest at Pinnacles in 100 years

Saw this on supertopo -

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1CD6K6.DTL

A lonely cave on a cliff in the rugged Pinnacles National Monument is the setting for a story of two love birds who found one another despite unimaginable hardship and decided to bring new life into a world that almost destroyed them.

They are, of course, giant corpse-munching vultures, but wildlife biologists could not be more thrilled if they were ...
Read more : First california condor nest at Pinnacles in 100 years | Views : 4215 | Replies : 11

Anza-Borrego Flowers?

I know it's not far down the road from me, but are there any recent reports of "big bloomage" in Anza-Borrego yet? :) I'd love to take a nice long run out there this weekend and view the wildflowers.
Read more : Anza-Borrego Flowers? | Views : 2610 | Replies : 9

North Ridge Lone Pine Peak (Winter) Beta

Hey there, I'm lucky enough to finally get back to the East Side and am wanting to ascend that North Ridge from wherever I can get started, probably just after the road closed sign on portal road.

With that said, does anyone have any crucial beta for a winter trip up this thing?

Also, tent or bivy for sleeping?

Thanks so much!
Read more : North Ridge Lone Pine Peak (Winter) Beta | Views : 1839 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557992 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136507