It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:27 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Cross country skiing at Tahoe

So, it isn't hard to find places where you can pay to use the trails, but can anyone tell me where some good spots are to tour for free? It has to be something pretty easy, since my wife is a beginner.

TIA, and Merry Christmas!
Read more : Cross country skiing at Tahoe | Views : 1680 | Replies : 6

Cactus to Clouds via the Skyline Trail

Has anyone been up this route recently, and if so, what were the snow conditions like. Any futher details would be appreciated. Thanks.
Read more : Cactus to Clouds via the Skyline Trail | Views : 1902 | Replies : 2

Eureka Valley hikes?

I'll be in Eureka Valley for several days, camping near the Eureka dunes.

Any nice hikes in the valley besides the dunes? Can't find much documentation. I only have a 2wd and would like to minimize driving time.

Suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Read more : Eureka Valley hikes? | Views : 2271 | Replies : 5

Umunhum

Good news for South Bay hikers:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_14044562

The SP page makes for an entertaining read:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/153994/mount-umunhum.html
Read more : Umunhum | Views : 1620 | Replies : 5

Recent Mt. Williamson attempts

There was a lot of activity on Mt. Williamson in the past few days. A party of nine attempted to summit from the South Fork of Bairs Creek, but was turned back at 13,000 feet by freezing cold and high winds. A party of four made an attempt via Shepherd's Pass, but was also rebuffed. Ryan G. and I started up the East Ridge on Sunday. You can judge whether ours was a successful winter ...
Read more : Recent Mt. Williamson attempts | Views : 2860 | Replies : 9

First Time Backcountry Skiing

Hi Folks,

A friend and I are looking for a fun, challenging 3-4 day excursion (Dec 26-30th) on backcountry/xcountry skis and were wondering if you have any suggestions for places/routes in Northern California. We have done a similar length trip before, but it was on snowshoes. I started another thread earlier asking questions about Desolation Wilderness, but I'm not sure that a trip like that would be appropriate for people of our skill levels. Any ...
Read more : First Time Backcountry Skiing | Views : 4983 | Replies : 14

Tallac winter routes

So I was perusing the Mt. Tallac page .. I've done a bunch of the peaks around Tahoe, but never Tallac :oops:

What routes are good this time of year (comparable to say, Round Top's west ridge or crescent moon couloir) ? I'd be taking snowshoes, ice axe & crampons. Hoping to not get run over by boarders & skiers :) ...
Read more : Tallac winter routes | Views : 3867 | Replies : 16

Desolation Wilderness Winter Backpacking advice

Hi everyone,
I'm planning a backpacking trip at desolation wilderness with my friend. We're thinking of going up on the 26th for a 3/4 day backpacking trek. We did badger pass a couple of years ago on snowshoes and it was a blast. We thought we'd try something different this time.

I've never been to the desolation area so I have no idea what to expect. I see a lot of trails, but I'm assuming ...
Read more : Desolation Wilderness Winter Backpacking advice | Views : 11402 | Replies : 8

Descent from LPP, SF and East Ridge

Hoping to get the information for the southeast slopes, or whatever seems to be the safest easyest way down back down to the valley floor. To be specific, we are climbing the east ridge as far as where the car is. I think its olivias ranch rd or something, my partner knows the name.

I have heard of many bad descent storys on the SF LPP area so I want to be dialed on where ...
Read more : Descent from LPP, SF and East Ridge | Views : 1167 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557970 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136459