Recent Mt. Williamson attempts

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Sam Page

Recent Mt. Williamson attempts

by Sam Page » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:19 am

There was a lot of activity on Mt. Williamson in the past few days. A party of nine attempted to summit from the South Fork of Bairs Creek, but was turned back at 13,000 feet by freezing cold and high winds. A party of four made an attempt via Shepherd's Pass, but was also rebuffed. Ryan G. and I started up the East Ridge on Sunday. You can judge whether ours was a successful winter ascent of Mt. Williamson.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:46 am

Well-written, Walker Percy style.

cab

by cab » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:05 pm

Nice read and well written. If nothing else, it was a good learning experience.

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:14 pm

Hey, Sam!

Nice to meet you here. I was part of that party of nine. What a beautiful hike in!!! Such a glorious area, I will definitely be back. Day one we set up camp just below 10,000 ft. Day 2 we all set out in the a.m. towards the summit. A couple of us needed to get back early so we turned around at 11,500 ft and flew down to the car (while another hung out at camp). In all six went for the summit and they got blasted by winds. We could see the spindrift from below and it was not pretty. Snowshoes were a definite must on the approach. Was thrilled to have been introduced to this area and can't wait to try it again. :D

A-Lex

by A-Lex » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:35 pm

Curious about the east ridge....what kind of rock/snow conditions and difficulties did you encounter? Just a good estimate would suffice as I am considering climbing sometime next week. This is not the southeast or northeast ridges right?

Sam Page

by Sam Page » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:40 am

A-Lex wrote:Curious about the east ridge....what kind of rock/snow conditions and difficulties did you encounter? Just a good estimate would suffice as I am considering climbing sometime next week. This is not the southeast or northeast ridges right?

Yes, the east ridge is in between the southeast and northeast ridges. As for details, I am sorry: I am sworn to secrecy . . .

Howdy Peak Freak!

Glad the rest of you enjoyed my trip report.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:35 pm

A-Lex wrote:Curious about the east ridge....what kind of rock/snow conditions and difficulties did you encounter? Just a good estimate would suffice as I am considering climbing sometime next week. This is not the southeast or northeast ridges right?

this time of the year the snow is not consolidated. you will posthole in snowshoes from the road to the summit after a group of 8 had already beaten a trench. the ridge dividing the north and south fork looks nasty. you'll be a stud if you can do this in winter. i would want to take a rack and rope but then i'm a pansy.

Scott Pierce

GOOD STORY

by Scott Pierce » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:39 pm

Sam, bad decision on the snowshoes, good decision on the 180, great story. Thanks.
How would travel have been on skis/skins?

Sam Page

Re: GOOD STORY

by Sam Page » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:04 pm

Scott Pierce wrote:Sam, bad decision on the snowshoes, good decision on the 180, great story. Thanks.
How would travel have been on skis/skins?

I think that skis would be impractical on the east ridge, but I have seen several reports of people hauling them up the North Fork of Bairs Creek (with lots of complaining).

A-Lex

by A-Lex » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:03 pm

Sworn to secrecy huh? Must be a crappy route...

Return to California