It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:39 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

The Curious Case of the Missing Skier

In July of 2009 I hiked up Taboose Pass and on a mission to climb Mt Ruskin, took an old trail along the South Fork of the Kings River below Bench Lake which I thought would take me to the trail up to Cartridge Pass. The river wsa too high to stick to the trail that criss-crossed it several times so just as I started to hike cross-country, I encountered this pair of Fisher cross ...
Read more : The Curious Case of the Missing Skier | Views : 14032 | Replies : 28

Dana coulior conditions

Anyone know the conditions?
Read more : Dana coulior conditions | Views : 2983 | Replies : 8

Middle Palisade conditions

Hi...

Does anyone have any current information on the conditions on Middle Palisade via the NE face? I'm thinking of heading up there next weekend, and I'm wondering:
a) whether it's currently necessary to cross the Middle Pal glacier to get to the route?
b) the glacier conditions -- snow or ice, bergschrund, etc.?

Basically, can I leave the axe and crampons in the car?

Thanks,
Peter
Read more : Middle Palisade conditions | Views : 3316 | Replies : 2

4th Annual Bear Valley Boulder Bash

What: Outdoor bouldering competition, gathering and party

When: October 3rd, 2009

Where: Bear Valley, California (Central Sierra Nevada on Highway 4 at 6900ft.)

Cost: $30 (includes lunch, t-shirt & donation to the Access Fund)

Why: Lots of fun plus $1500+ in cash & prize

More info:
http://www.adventuresportsfestival.com/bouldering.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NODyyNmuJ9M
Read more : 4th Annual Bear Valley Boulder Bash | Views : 1126 | Replies : 1

Mount Vetter burned in the Station Fire

Sad news has come out that the Mount Vetter Lookout has burned to the ground.

http://www.anffla.org/node/661

I will dearly miss this little buddha temple in the San Gabriels!
Read more : Mount Vetter burned in the Station Fire | Views : 4075 | Replies : 6

N. Fork Lone Pine Creek at night

How challenging is it to follow the route up the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek in the dark (with a headlamp)?
Read more : N. Fork Lone Pine Creek at night | Views : 4956 | Replies : 17

North Peak Tioga Pass

Can someone give me an idea of how many miles it is to go and check out the ice routes on North Peak? Also how difficult is the hike? The reason I ask is that I am planning a trip with the brother and law and he wanted to go out and check it out with me, but he has bad knees, so knowing that should he stay behind or do you think he has ...
Read more : North Peak Tioga Pass | Views : 4889 | Replies : 19

Poached Venison?

"Game Wardens and National Park Service Rangers have arrested three Southern California residents for allegedly poaching trophy deer in Yosemite."

http://news.sierrawave.net/eastern-sier ... cal-warden
Read more : Poached Venison? | Views : 1805 | Replies : 10

Mt. Baldy, complete south ridge

I plan on hiking (mostly off trail) up the complete south ridge of Mt. Baldy (in SoCal) tomorrow (Saturday, August 29). Has anyone done it? How is it? I plan on starting from Manker Flats at around 6AM, so let me know if you are interested.
Read more : Mt. Baldy, complete south ridge | Views : 4930 | Replies : 16

Water on North Side of Langley

We were thinking of going up to the North Side of Langley from the stone house and were wondering what the water situation is like up there.
Is there a stream up there? Is it usually dry this time of year? What's the last place you can fill up water as you approach Langley?

Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks
SH
Read more : Water on North Side of Langley | Views : 2552 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557970 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136459