It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:00 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

San Gabriel Mountains - Fire Season

Well the San Gabs are ablaze once again. Looks like the Azusa Canyon area with smoke very visible from Downtown Los Angeles.
Read more : San Gabriel Mountains - Fire Season | Views : 17971 | Replies : 94

Mt. Mendel Ice

For those interested, went to Mendel this last weekend with hopes of climbing the Left Mendel Couloir (Ice Nine) or Right. Unfortunately, even with our late snow falls this year, the climbs are already pretty dry. As a disclaimer, this is as close as we got (the bottom of the valley.. we had approached an unusual way via Alpine Col from Wahoo Lakes near Piute Pass), as my climbing partner was feeling pretty sick, but ...
Read more : Mt. Mendel Ice | Views : 7226 | Replies : 28

A High Sierra Trail itinerary

There is surprisingly little written up on SP about trans-Sierra traverse via the High Sierra Trail. This is something I have wanted to do for decades (I did about a third of it in 1976), and I am working on an itinerary maybe for next summer.

Would anyone care to comment on the following proposal?

Day 1
Crescent Meadow to Log Meadow : 0.6
Log Meadow to Panther Creek : 2.1
Panther Creek to ...
Read more : A High Sierra Trail itinerary | Views : 15536 | Replies : 19

Visiting California in October

Sweet, Lolli is coming to California. If you stay at fishermans wharf you will have lots of ambient noise (sea lions).
Read more : Visiting California in October | Views : 40703 | Replies : 288

Pyramid peak's 5th class routes (desolation wilderness)

Thanks Squishy, I should find a way to incorporate that into the Pyramid Peak page.
Read more : Pyramid peak's 5th class routes (desolation wilderness) | Views : 2045 | Replies : 0

NE Gully of Laurel

Has anyone recently been up NE Gully of Laurel? Wondering about snow. Do I need crampons or is all the snow gone? Thanks in advance!
-Mike
Read more : NE Gully of Laurel | Views : 8773 | Replies : 34

Buckeye Flat vs. Atwell Mill

Just curious of who out there has been up to the Castle Rocks on either, or if you are really MAD :wink: and have gone both ways to get up to the area.

Of course both of them have a gnarly reputation, but was curious on the prevailing factors (H20, Poison Oak, snakes, etc...) that seems to make Buckeye the prefered route up there.

And, those of ...
Read more : Buckeye Flat vs. Atwell Mill | Views : 822 | Replies : 1

How are the California Couloirs doing these days?

Is it looking like the alpine ice is going to be good this year? I'm thinking I may start my ice climbing season this week. Last year it seemed that things were getting a bit thin.
Read more : How are the California Couloirs doing these days? | Views : 9530 | Replies : 38

Bear Creek Spire

Any one been up to BCS in the last couple of days? We were planning on doing the North Arete this weekend. Just wondering how much snow on the approach and the ridge.
Read more : Bear Creek Spire | Views : 13369 | Replies : 36

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557987 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136495