It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:30 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Suicide Trivia Quiz

One time, while sitting at the base of the Pirate, I had an encounter with someone who was walking around showing his partner where the routes at Suicide were. Suffice it to say he was slightly confused, and even identified Valhalla incorrectly. When I tried to helpfully correct him he whipped out a guidebook, looked at it for a minute, and then proceeded to tell me in no uncertain terms that I didn't know what ...
Read more : Suicide Trivia Quiz | Views : 11792 | Replies : 68

2009 Tioga Pass Opening Day Predictions

May 22, 2009.
Read more : 2009 Tioga Pass Opening Day Predictions | Views : 12431 | Replies : 41

Sierra license plate

I know a previous thread exists, but the search function doesn't want to cooperate. The design has been released, here. Not very impressive given the multitude of iconic Sierra views they could have chosen.
Read more : Sierra license plate | Views : 8250 | Replies : 41

HELP OPEN ACCESS TO MT. WILLIAMSON YEAR ROUND!

Need all the help I can muster ASAP from ALL SP members.

Been working diligently on this for the past two weeks. I have gotten the NPS, USFS and CAF&G Biologists and many others that have been involved with this issue for a long time, blessings on this and they all say it's time to open it up. They have told me that they have mentioned it within the inter-agencies in the past 3-4 ...
Read more : HELP OPEN ACCESS TO MT. WILLIAMSON YEAR ROUND! | Views : 16761 | Replies : 71

San Diego

Hey all, I'm probably moving out to San Diego this summer/fall to start a grad program at UCSD. It looks like I'll be there for 5-6 yrs, and I couldn't be more excited about it. It'd be great to get out and climb with some folks on SP too. My favorite pursuits have been ski mountaineering, alpine mixed climbing and glacial climbs in the Cascades and Alps, but I'm into just getting out in the ...
Read more : San Diego | Views : 6388 | Replies : 19

Lassen Peak Conditions

Anyone been up there lately? I'm thinking about trying the Northwest Ridge in a couple weeks but I don't exactly want to book it across the country if there isn't any snow up there.
Read more : Lassen Peak Conditions | Views : 7769 | Replies : 24

Where Summit Registers go to die...

Hi All,

A recent posting by a fellow SPer got me thinking.... where do summit registers go to die? Or what happens to them when they are all full and there is no more room to store them on the summit? I know that many registers from the Sierras and other prominent CA peaks like Shasta end up at the Bancroft Library at Cal Berkeley. But how about the rest?

Basically, the recent poster pointed ...
Read more : Where Summit Registers go to die... | Views : 16107 | Replies : 79

Baldy Conditions?

Anyone been up on Baldy post-storm? Looks pretty epic up there from the valley.

Gusto
Read more : Baldy Conditions? | Views : 52745 | Replies : 239

Bristlecone Forest Visitor Center Burned

Although there was an allusion to this in the "North Palisade Trailhead Car Safety" thread, I hadn't had a chance to research it further until tonight, and I am quite saddened as a result.

http://www.inyoregister.com/content/view/115529/1/

"By Mike Bodine
Register Staff
9-6-2008

Fire has destroyed the visitor center in the Bristlecone pine forest, sending sadness and shockwaves throughout the Owens Valley and beyond.
Calls first came into Big Pine and ...
Read more : Bristlecone Forest Visitor Center Burned | Views : 16470 | Replies : 52

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557970 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136459