It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Matterhorn Peak - Double Dihedral ?

I was perusing Secor for info on Matterhorn Peak's N. Arete and noted the Double Dihedral ( 5.8 ) route.

Curious to know if it's good, and how much actual 5.8 is on the route ... I see it seems to start from the vicinity of the West Couloir.
Read more : Matterhorn Peak - Double Dihedral ? | Views : 5297 | Replies : 20

Sierra Yellow-Legged Frog

Among one of the more controversial re-habitations is that of the yellow-legged frog in the Sierra mountains. Up to 10 to 15 % of the High Sierra Lakes are targeted for fish extermination and then re-establishment of habitat for this declining population of frog species. (Correction: 5 to 15% of trout-bearing lakes in Sequoia/Kings Canyon).

I would welcome anyone with inside knowledge on this current effort. I, for one, being an avid fisherman, fully support ...
Read more : Sierra Yellow-Legged Frog | Views : 15191 | Replies : 101

Fall in the Sierra

I hope I'm not being redundant, but I don't recall seeing a Fall Colors thread for the Sierra.
So, I offer one up.

Here was a wonderful way to start my Birthday 2 weeks ago:

Read more : Fall in the Sierra | Views : 18128 | Replies : 48

Thor Peak - Stemwinder 7/14/06

Stemwinder 7/14/06

Finally got a chance to do this nice little route with Courtney Pursell (cp0915) last Friday.

It's amazing that there's a relatively easy route up Thor's SE face, but there is. Looks totally intimidating but like many routes is much easier once you're there. The 5.4 crux move at the start is a bit awkward but the rest is easy.

Once we got up to the upper plateau we saw a lone hiker ...
Read more : Thor Peak - Stemwinder 7/14/06 | Views : 2354 | Replies : 4

Matthes Crest approach/rap

Anyone been up to the Budd Lake area recently? I was wondering how much snow is still around.

Also, can you rap off the north end of the Mathes with a single rope?
Read more : Matthes Crest approach/rap | Views : 8696 | Replies : 40

BOLTING ETHICS....WHO MAKES THE CALL?

OK FOLKS...the FIRE has been lit, AGAIN!!!! To bolt or not to bolt (this includes any FIXED PRO...not slings)? That is the question! When, Where and Whom has the authority to determine the validity of bolting or fixing pins, and WHY??? The issue has been HOT since who knows when. But.... Below is a list of some of the many areas (in the U.S. & BC) that I have played on in the past thirty ...
Read more : BOLTING ETHICS....WHO MAKES THE CALL? | Views : 8760 | Replies : 67

1977 Yosemite Plane Crash

In 1977 a plane loaded with dope crashed into Lower Merced Pass Lake. I knew the pilot and his wife since high school. His wife and I are working on co-authoring a book about the incident. I am looking for anyone that can recall any stories about what went on in the area during the first few weeks following the crash. We are not looking to expose anyone, we are looking for stories to add ...
Read more : 1977 Yosemite Plane Crash | Views : 35705 | Replies : 51

Big Sur Peakbagging

In addition to bagging the Cascade Volcanoes and more interesting technical rock peaks in the Sierras, I've found myself thinking more and more about peakbagging the Big Sur peaks. I think this is because: (1) I don't really hear of anyone bagging these peaks, (2) some of the peaks are challenging to get to - no trails through heavy brush, and (3) there aren't so many peaks on the list to make it overwhelming. Sort ...
Read more : Big Sur Peakbagging | Views : 13290 | Replies : 54

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557948 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136406