It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:57 am

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

OGL: The Hunt for the Best Winter Down Sleeping Bags of 2017

FYI: More data points for those on the quest for a new winter fart sack..

Outdoor Gear Lab: The Hunt for the Best Winter Down Sleeping Bags of 2017
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/ca ... wn-cold-we
Read more : OGL: The Hunt for the Best Winter Down Sleeping Bags of 2017 | Views : 2254 | Replies : 0

Backpacking chairs?

Looking for some suggestions for compact and lightweight backpacking chairs. I usually don't bother but this will be a longer trip where I will have some time to sit around.

Thank you!!
Read more : Backpacking chairs? | Views : 4328 | Replies : 4

new-b question "id back pack"

hi all, i have a question regarding a back pack i picked up this weekend. sifting through a musty/dusty garage i spotted this stuffed in a corner. at first i thought it was plastic but all the straps where leather and appeared old. asked the gentleman running the sale what he'd take for it and said 2.00 so i brought it home. small marking on lower inside, a webner-amerili? 76 schaffhausen. couldn't find any info ...
Read more : new-b question "id back pack" | Views : 3259 | Replies : 2

Stove board design for snow

I tackled a dilemma today:

How to make a stove board that can prevent melting down into the snow for winter use that can accommodate one large snow melting pot under two burners or two separate pots under two separate burners. At just a hair over 6 oz, I think it turned out pretty well. I'm planning to test it out live this weekend and will report back. In the meantime, I'm interested in any ...
Read more : Stove board design for snow | Views : 6597 | Replies : 7

Garmin InReach vs Spot Gen3?

I've read all sorts of reviews comparing these two - was wondering what people generally think on these.

Thanks very much
Read more : Garmin InReach vs Spot Gen3? | Views : 2923 | Replies : 0

Anyone tried climbing with La Sportiva No-edge shoes?

So reading through this article on climbing shoes, I've decided on trying out either the LS Genius or Futura. Has anyone tried out Sportiva's line of No-edge shoes? Any comments on their performance? I've seen Adam Ondra climb in the speedsters and futuras and it seems like it really works
Read more : Anyone tried climbing with La Sportiva No-edge shoes? | Views : 2489 | Replies : 0

Full hard shell needed for Denali in May?

I'm interested in getting some input from the good folks on Summitpost on this question:
Is a full Gore-tex/eVent hard shell jacket a necessity on Denali's West Buttress route in May? Or would a wind shell suffice?

I had always assumed that I would take my eVent hard shell jacket just because it is a big mountain with extreme conditions, and you want the "best" gear to be protected as much as possible from the ...
Read more : Full hard shell needed for Denali in May? | Views : 7123 | Replies : 4

Any camping tent recommendation for a beginner?

I'm planning to have an overnight camping with a bunch of my friends, any camping tent recommendation or other outdoor tips for me based on your own experience?

Thank you.
Read more : Any camping tent recommendation for a beginner? | Views : 5693 | Replies : 9

Gear for Elbrus and Mera Peak

Hi all,

Quite new to mountaineering and the highest I have been to is Mt Whitney in winter so am not sure if the clothing I have currently would be suitable for Elbrus and Mera peak. I plan to do Elbrus this year in summer and Mera peak in the pre-monsoon 2018 season so I wanted to get the gear now that can be used for both.

Base Layer: SmartWool NTS Mid 250 ...
Read more : Gear for Elbrus and Mera Peak | Views : 5643 | Replies : 6

FYI: More Toys: Micro Wind Turbine

Micro Wind Turbine

http://nilsferber.de/micro-wind-turbine/

"Electronic devices play an important role for our activities in the great outdoors. They are essential for navigating and documenting our adventures, for scientific surveys or acquisitions and even for rescue operations and disaster management. Nonetheless, charging electronic devices during long periods away from civilization remains a difficult task. Today, solar panels are the only available solution to this common problem, making the power supply ...
Read more : FYI: More Toys: Micro Wind Turbine | Views : 3382 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558043 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136630