It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:30 pm

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

WM Vs FF Bags

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'm gonna anyhow.

I'm looking at 2 sleeping bags, a WM Antelope GWS 5degF and a FF Snowbunting 0degF.

The FF bag will be warmer, I'm sure. And a bit heavier and bigger.

The WM bag is a little wider and has room for my puffy. Its a bit lighter and comes in short (I'm 5'6).

I know they both have stellar reputations, but given this particular ...
Read more : WM Vs FF Bags | Views : 4464 | Replies : 3

Sleeping bags: WM Ultralight vs FF Hummingbird UL Sleeping bags: WM Ultralight vs FF Hummingbird UL

II am looking at these 2 above bags and have had both FF and WM in the past. These are 2 strikingly similar bags that I am sure will both be high quality. I am looking to use these in the 30’s down to the teens occasionally. I sleep warm and can double up on some extra layers as needed. Any comments on the differences of them? Any thoughts on going for overfill? Thanks!
Read more : Sleeping bags: WM Ultralight vs FF Hummingbird UL | Views : 7436 | Replies : 6

Proper shoes for hiking and traveling

Hello,

After few months of hiking and spending more and time on outdoor activities I've noticed a few things...

My health and stamina improved significantly. It means that right now I can walk at least 2 miles without the risk of dying :D

There is someone who does not like my new habits - my FOOTWEAR.

So after a second cheap pair of boots I decided ...
Read more : Proper shoes for hiking and traveling | Views : 4055 | Replies : 5

Single v. Double Boots

A buddy and I are going to be spending about 7 days on the Emmons side/Camp Curtis area this June conducting glacier "research" (grad school side project stuff). Probably will wrap up with a summit shot. We'll have to make two trips to haul food and separate science gear to our camp from the parking lot. I own some Scarpa Triolet singles and my go-to Invernos. I reaallly don't want to have to make the ...
Read more : Single v. Double Boots | Views : 5841 | Replies : 8

Sleeping Bag Ratings

This is basically a question about EN vs. traditional sleeping bag temperature ratings and about the suitability of a particular choice.

I am trying to come up with the perfect winter sleeping bag. I sleep normal to cold. The two trips I have planned are Mt. Morrison (with a night in a snow cave) in February for which the equipment list calls for a -10 degF sleeping bag , and Island Peak in April with ...
Read more : Sleeping Bag Ratings | Views : 4302 | Replies : 4

Womans B2 rated boots 43 size in UK

Hello.

Trying to find some boots for my wife for some mountaineering trips but she ideally needs a 43 womens fit and neither the Scarpa Mantas or La Sportiva equivalent all seem to top out at 42 and they are slightly tight on toes. Tried a mens boot but the longer ones were too wide.

Are there any other brands in the UK of similar quality but different fits?

We are in Yorkshire if anyone ...
Read more : Womans B2 rated boots 43 size in UK | Views : 2255 | Replies : 1

Extra insoles for plastic boots?

I have a pair of old Koflach plastic boots and I replaced their inner boots with custom Palau liners that are a lot thinner and lighter but are supposed to be very warm - not tested that yet. Since that frees up some space between the liner and the plastic shell, I'm thinking about adding some ground insulation (my feet tend to get cold easily). Basically, what about cutting out an extra insole out of ...
Read more : Extra insoles for plastic boots? | Views : 5062 | Replies : 5

Fischer S-bound 112 or 125 skis?

I was thinking of getting a pair of these and putting tech bindings on them. Anyone tried such a setup?
I already have a full AT setup, so I have boots and I have a 3 pin setup on Karhu 10th mountain skis, but I don't feel I have enough control on descents, so I want something with an alpine binding.

I don't live back east anymore, but I feel like this would be a ...
Read more : Fischer S-bound 112 or 125 skis? | Views : 4162 | Replies : 0

RMI recommends down parka for Rainier DC climb. thoughts?

i've seen comments from those who recommend a down parka and comments from those who recommend a synthetic parka. RMI's literature unequivocally recommends a down parka for their 4-day climb. I'm leaning toward buying down (in particular, the rab neutrino) Anyone have strong opinions one way or the other? My rainier trip is early May.
Read more : RMI recommends down parka for Rainier DC climb. thoughts? | Views : 26321 | Replies : 39

New BD Viper feed back???

Hey gang,

Has anyone gotten their rookers on a pair of the new Black Diamond Vipers? I had a pair of the old version (copper colored) and thought they encompassed everything that was terrible about the Cobras (shitty picks, tiny, useless hammer and adze) without the only redeeming quality, an absolutely dreamy swing.

The new Vipers appear to solve many of my gripes with the older version; better hammer and adze, moveable secondary rest, potentially ...
Read more : New BD Viper feed back??? | Views : 2005 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558044 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136631