WM Vs FF Bags

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
AustinKalb

WM Vs FF Bags

by AustinKalb » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:54 pm

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'm gonna anyhow.

I'm looking at 2 sleeping bags, a WM Antelope GWS 5degF and a FF Snowbunting 0degF.

The FF bag will be warmer, I'm sure. And a bit heavier and bigger.

The WM bag is a little wider and has room for my puffy. Its a bit lighter and comes in short (I'm 5'6).

I know they both have stellar reputations, but given this particular choice, what would you do, and why?

Thanks!!!
Austin

ExcitableBoy

Re: WM Vs FF Bags

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Are you anticipating a run on goose down? IMNSHO, three bags are all you need, one for summer, one for winter/expedition use, and one for all the rest of the time. For me, this is a +30, +15, and -15.

What is the expected use for this bag? You already have a -10 FF bag, which would I would use on Denali without a second thought, in fact, I did, except I used the Widgeon, the smaller version of the one you bought (with 2 oz overfill). A 5 or 0 degree bag is a winter bag, you already have a winter bag. Why buy another one? Do you have a really good 15-20 degree bag? That is the one you will use most often.

I own both FF and WM bags, they are both top quality. Personally, I would go with the short one if it fits. It will be lighter, more compressible, and warmer since there will be less empty space to heat.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
AustinKalb

AustinKalb

by AustinKalb » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:24 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:Are you anticipating a run on goose down? IMNSHO, three bags are all you need, one for summer, one for winter/expedition use, and one for all the rest of the time. For me, this is a +30, +15, and -15.

What is the expected use for this bag? You already have a -10 FF bag, which would I would use on Denali without a second thought, in fact, I did, except I used the Widgeon, the smaller version of the one you bought (with 2 oz overfill). A 5 or 0 degree bag is a winter bag, you already have a winter bag. Why buy another one? Do you have a really good 15-20 degree bag? That is the one you will use most often.

I own both FF and WM bags, they are both top quality. Personally, I would go with the short one if it fits. It will be lighter, more compressible, and warmer since there will be less empty space to heat.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't entirely clear. :)

I returned the -10 bag. Too much bag for my current needs.

Now I'm trying to decide between the 0deg Snowbunting or the 5deg Antelope GWS. The FF is longer than I need and also narrower so I can't wear my puffy in it. The WM bag is correct length and a little wider for my puffy but not as warm without it.

I think at this point either would work.

Any opinion on Gore Windstopper vs Pertex Shield EX?

Thx!

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:25 pm

I like Pertex, but have no complaints after 20 years of using Gore DryLoft in my WM bag. I would choose the shorter, wider bag. You can either wear your puffy in the bag or drape it over the top, but I prefer to wear it inside. Plus being shorter means it will be lighter, more packable, and easier to keep warm.

Return to Gear