It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:32 pm

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Best new techno gear over the last 10 years?

So as we enter the 2010s, what’s the best new techno gear/innovation over the last 10 years?

Of all the new techno gear that’s emerged over the last 10 years (GPS, approach shoes, LED headlamps, SPOT,….), I’m inclined to vote for on-line databases like SP, SuperTopo, Mountain Project, etc.

These on-line databases have provided me superb mountain and climbing beta that only comes from years of local experience and enabled me to tackle mountains/routes that ...
Read more : Best new techno gear over the last 10 years? | Views : 3189 | Replies : 11

The North Face Baltoro Jacket- Fake?

Go to this forum and you tell me? I recenty heard that 60-80% of North Face clothing products found on ebay are not authentic. This website is dedicated to the topic. What do ppl think about this? Is it fake?

http://www.thenorthfaceguru.com/ubbthre ... Main=16694
Read more : The North Face Baltoro Jacket- Fake? | Views : 8502 | Replies : 4

FS: Backcountry Ski Boots

Alpina 1550 75mm

Vibram sole, Used for one season. Maybe a dozen days. Dunno how but bought way too big.

$65

Size Info:

45 EURO
11-11.5 (M)US

Like the boot. Getting another in a different size.
Read more : FS: Backcountry Ski Boots | Views : 973 | Replies : 0

crampon recommendations?

Hey all,

I'm looking to invest in a pair of crampons. My adventures tend to include classical mountaineering and glacier traversing, but not ice-climbing. I have big feet (size 14 US). From the grivel website, it seems like the G10s are the model most closely rated for my adventures, but I'm wondering if since I have big feet, it would make sense to have more points. Any advice or other recommendations?

Thanks,
Chase
Read more : crampon recommendations? | Views : 19283 | Replies : 26

grivel crampons not on rei.com?

I just noticed rei.com isn't carrying grivel crampons anymore. Anyone know what the deal is with that?
Read more : grivel crampons not on rei.com? | Views : 1769 | Replies : 2

Lowa Silberhorn?

Has anyone used this boot? How warm is it? Is the last similar to the Lowa Mountain Expert? REI has them onsale very cheap right now. I tried a Mountain Expert on the other day and liked the design and the way it fit. I don't really need a new pair of leather boots but at that price...
Read more : Lowa Silberhorn? | Views : 6477 | Replies : 10

FS: North Face Expedition Videos- 5 episodes on 3 DVD's- $25

Like New condition. I have watched them all about a half dozen times. They are excellent movies. One is about Pete Athens Climbing Everest. One is about Lynn Hill climbing in Madagascar. One is about Alex Lowe climbing Great Trango in the Karakorum Range. One is about Alex Lowe’s death on Shishipangma. One is about skiing a peak in India. I want $25 (shipping included) and we can use paypal.
Email me at

Read more : FS: North Face Expedition Videos- 5 episodes on 3 DVD's- $25 | Views : 885 | Replies : 1

Wanted: Grand Shelters Icebox Igloo Maker

I am looking to build multiple backcountry igloos to use during the winter and want to use the Grand Shelters Ice box Igloo Maker to speed up the process. Don't care if it's used or new. Just want one that will work. PM me with the condition and price of your Icebox. I will also consider similar igloo makers out there, but I here Icebox is one of the best.
Read more : Wanted: Grand Shelters Icebox Igloo Maker | Views : 1891 | Replies : 0

Expedition shoe for technical climbing

Hi,
I'd like some advice before buying a pair of shoes for winter climbing.
I tend to get cold feet while staying at belays and am looking for a pair of warm boots. I can get a great deal on a pair of Millet Shivlings, but I'm wondering how they would act on 70° ice and mixed alpine routes. Aren't they a bit on the heavy side? I've seen a lot of people out there ...
Read more : Expedition shoe for technical climbing | Views : 790 | Replies : 0

Nikwax for leather -- does it work?

I got a bunch of sample packets of this stuff, which is advertised as a waterproofing wax that leaves the leather breathable. These claims seem vaguely familiar; in the old days, when everyone wore 5 lb leather hiking boots, we would treat them with sno-seal, which left them pretty much neither breathable nor waterproof.

Is this Nikwax stuff a lot different? What does it do to breathable eVent and Gore-Tex liners in boots?

I have ...
Read more : Nikwax for leather -- does it work? | Views : 5156 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558076 • Total topics 55846 • Total members 136698