Arc'teryx Alpha FL Shell Durability

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
eastcoastarmy

Arc'teryx Alpha FL Shell Durability

by eastcoastarmy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:39 pm

What's going on everyone?

I had a quick question for anyone out there who uses the Alpha series of Arc shells. I have been using an Arc'teryx Alpha FL (3L Pro Shell) for the past year or so for all of my climbing and hiking needs... I absolutely love the FL. Definitely my favorite hard shell I have ever used, although if at all possible, I'm going to be in my Gamma LT soft shell, conditions permitting. Anyways, I have used my jacket primarily for climbing (trad, top rope, etc) and around camp in the evenings if it starts to rain. I've only had to use it with my pack (which is normally about 40lbs or so, Osprey 65AG) for my multi-day trips once or twice for a short period of time. The FL did great backpacking, the hemlock does just as well with a hip belt as it does a climbing harness for locking everything in place while you're moving. The breathability is top notch, the hood is great, packs down to nothing... I just love it. So my question is regarding the durability of the shell, using the N40-P Gore Tex Pro Shell. I am signing up to climb Rainier next week with IMG and plan to hopefully get a few seasons out of the shell at least. Does anyone have any experience with the durability of these shells, specifically when having to wear a pack on top? From everything I've experienced with the shell, it seems to be pretty tough for how light it is. The shoulder areas are the main areas of concern for extended use with a pack.

One of the main reasons I am asking is because I found an Alpha AR for a pretty good price ($200 under MSRP), more pockets and N80-p Pro Shell reinforcements in the high wear areas, and am trying to decide if it would be worth it to spring for that shell while it's a little cheaper... It will obviously be heavier than the FL, and won't pack as well because of the burly N80 shell reinforcements. Another reason I kind of like the AR is the slightly longer length it provides... I know its not much, but being 6'3" the Alpha FL in L definitely could not be any shorter. I have about an inch or so of overhang in the front over my belt line, obviously the back is great. The SV is overkill for any of my applications for the time being, and maybe the AR is too... It's not like my hard shell will be on 24/7 (hopefully).. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

ExcitableBoy

Re: Arc'teryx Alpha FL Shell Durability

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:16 pm

I'm glad you asked this very important question since your success on Rainier rests solely on your choice of rain jackets.

Snide remarks aside (I'm just jealous because I cannot afford Arc'Teryx), anything Gore-Tex by the dead bird with do just fine. I'm pretty sure wearing out from rubbing against your pack's shoulder pads would be covered under the warranty. Go as light as you can. Climbing Rainier is not going to test the durability of your shell jacket.

Personally, I would not bring your stretch woven soft shell (Gamma LT). I have stretch woven soft shell jackets, but only wear only them;

1. On the bus to work
2. While lift serviced skiing

Instead of the stretch woven soft shell jacket, buy a Marmot DriClime windshirt, on sale now for $60.00 at Sierra Trading Post. It sheds precip/wind as well or better than a stretch woven, layers much better due to the slippery nature of the shell, breathes better, and is more comfortable across a wider temperature spectrum.

Don't put too much thought into your jacket. Here is an article that may be of some value: http://www.summitpost.org/so-you-want-t ... ier/507227

no avatar
eastcoastarmy

Re: Arc'teryx Alpha FL Shell Durability

by eastcoastarmy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:05 am

I'm really not too concerned with my hard shell selection for Rainier since I'll be there in July. Weather permitting, I'll make it up. I'm far more concerned with the use its going to get out here at home for backpacking and hiking, where sideways rain 3-4 days out of the week and 90% humidity are the name of the game. I will never let go of my FL as far as my climbing hardshell is concerned, it's never gotten knicked on granite, attaches to a gear/haul loop and nothing gets in the thing... I was just curious of peoples experience with the extended abrasion from pack straps on the lighter ProShell... It's tough but it's definitely a thinner face fabric, or else I think you would have to have pit zips to dump heat.

And Arc'teryx warranty does not cover general wear and tear, or anything like that... They warrant manufacturing defects, that's about it.

I can't afford this gear either, haha... I'm still paying student loans off, but at least I'm used to being broke by now.

Return to Gear