It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:51 am

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

what kind of watch do you wear climbing

l had a decent watch last year that was lost at some point when I moved.
What I'm looking for is something lightweight as it can be that has most or all of the following features:
--altimeter
--heart rate monitor
--compass
--barometer
--alarm clock
--thermometer
OR, any other watch you'd recommend for the obvious purpose of telling time with the basic features you'd want while mountaineering or climbing
Read more : what kind of watch do you wear climbing | Views : 8381 | Replies : 15

FS Book: Himalaya Alpine Style First Edition Mint Condition

SOLD

Thinning my shelves. I have a Hodder & Stoughton first edition copy of Himalaya Alpine Style by Andy Fanshaw and Stephen Venables. Book and dust jacket are in about mint condition. DJ is protected with archival plastic cover.

Price $35 including shipping in US, cheaper than similar copies on ABE books. Most H&S editions are in the UK or Australia. The H&S version is typically a nicer production than The Mountaineers version, though I ...
Read more : FS Book: Himalaya Alpine Style First Edition Mint Condition | Views : 2241 | Replies : 3

Spantiks and G14's

Has anyone had problems fitting G14's to La Sportiva Spantiks? I find that because of the upward curve of the boot there's a gap of a few mm between the sole and the front of the crampon. The fit is tight everywhere else. I've never encountered this with any of my boots and crampons before so was just wondering if this would be a problem??Thanks.
Read more : Spantiks and G14's | Views : 2791 | Replies : 5

Entry level digital SLR

Noticed the fiance is really impressed with some of the better outdoor photography on this site and others. Not sure if this is in the right forum, although not sure if qualifies as gear either. Looking to get her a digital slr as a Christmas gift. We are not experienced or knowledgeable when it comes to cameras, so I guess I am looking for something 'entry-level'. Also, since we do a lot of hiking/backpacking/kayaking something ...
Read more : Entry level digital SLR | Views : 5517 | Replies : 28

Expanding My Rack

So this Christmas it looks like I'll be getting some climbing gear. I know mountaineering gear is too expensive so I'm planning to stick to asking for Rock Climbing gear. I'm curious what you guys would suggest for me to get as my next additions to my gear.

I have a harness, shoes, helmet, and rope and here is my rack.
B.D. Camalots .5-3
B.D. Stoppers 4-13
B.D. C3's 1 and 2 (On order so ...
Read more : Expanding My Rack | Views : 3291 | Replies : 10

Approach shoes in the White Mountains?

I'm looking at the Kayland Crux Grip... I think the extra traction would be useful on rocks, but I don't know if they would have enough support.
Read more : Approach shoes in the White Mountains? | Views : 3252 | Replies : 6

boot comparison (sportiva)

Hi, and I am sorry if this has already been covered...

But I sold a pair of Nepal EVO, and I am going to buy another pair of boots.. I love the Nepal EVO, I have two (now one) pairs.

I am wondering if the Batura is warmer, practically speaking... I have read about some of what the people have wirtten online..

I am between a BAtura and Spantik, which I know it is going ...
Read more : boot comparison (sportiva) | Views : 2185 | Replies : 4

FS: Bouldering Pad

Mad Rock bouldering pad. Only used a couple times. Located in Rocklin, CA. Free delivery to Davis!!! $75!!! Best crash pad ever!! 8)

Read more : FS: Bouldering Pad | Views : 864 | Replies : 1

Jackets and Pants

I'm slowly acquiring the gear for mountaineering and Alpine climbing. I found good deals on the following jackets and pants.

Mountain Hardwear Typhoon hardshell $130
Mountain Hardwear Alchemy softshell(2007) $130
Marmot scree softshell pant $60

Anyway These look really good to me and I might try to get them all or at least one of the jackets. Just wanted to know if there are any opinions on these.

Thanks
Read more : Jackets and Pants | Views : 3346 | Replies : 9

Interesting accessory for the crash pad crowd...

Chalk bag made from bull scrotum.

A conversation starter, for sure.

Given the price tag, I assumed it was Ark'Terrix, but, alas, I was mistaken.
Read more : Interesting accessory for the crash pad crowd... | Views : 2110 | Replies : 10

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558081 • Total topics 55846 • Total members 136707