It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 4:22 pm

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

denali quick gear question

when in doubt ask summit post :

1. Are spantiks / scarpa 6000 , suitable for a june denali trip?
2. Is a 75L bag just too small?
3. true or false: a down suit is overkill on denali in June ?
4. I have been told a down bag rated to -30ºc is not warm enough, would you agree?

thanks for your input
Read more : denali quick gear question | Views : 4774 | Replies : 8

Need to Backpack

Need to Backback For Technical Winter Climb...
HELP want to buy new backpacks...
Which of the following Backpacks to choose?

Millet - Expedition 65+5
Deuter - Air Contact 65+10
Millet - Khumbu 75+10

If you use these backpacks , tell which is better?
Assist me in buying backpacks good For Climb long time and hard ,
Thanks
Read more : Need to Backpack | Views : 14578 | Replies : 18

Newbie tent question

Will an ultralight give as much protection as an expedition style tent

also, looking to do Shasta, Hood, with a follow on of Reinier and eventually McKinley. Any tent suggestion would be appreciated. Looking at the Nemo Tenshi/Alpinist/EV2/Elderado. Will be for only me and my wife
Thanks a lot
Matt
Read more : Newbie tent question | Views : 13979 | Replies : 19

New cord for old BD Hexcentrics

The time has come to preform some maintenance on my threaded hexes. What is the best diameter for the new cord? Also, does the brand really make a difference when you're talking about cord or is it all pretty much the same as long as it is rated for climbing?
Read more : New cord for old BD Hexcentrics | Views : 5044 | Replies : 7

MH Ultra Lamina Bag

Anyone used this bag? It's compressability looks pretty good.
Read more : MH Ultra Lamina Bag | Views : 1944 | Replies : 1

Vasque Equalizer solutions

I bought a pair of Vasque Equalizers when they first came out. I found the bizarre lacing system to be horrible -- the cord tabs immediately came off when pulled, the cord locks for the lower laces would not lock, and the upper webbing straps would not hold. Eventually (after 15 miles total) both upper webbing buckles broke, leaving me to downclimb class 4 with the shoes just hanging off my feet.

I have written ...
Read more : Vasque Equalizer solutions | Views : 1330 | Replies : 0

C4 Modification?

I got a crazy idea... that terrifies me.

Has anyone out there ever considered, tried, or succeeded in removing the sheath off of a C4?
Other than the inherent risks of modifying gear (in this case damaging the cable while trying to remove the sheath), my initial concern would be that the cables would fray rather quickly. The hope would be to get more flexibility out of the stem. I've got a few pieces that ...
Read more : C4 Modification? | Views : 3309 | Replies : 5

What size rope do you use?

Hi all,

What size rope do or would you use on class 4 alpine rock if leading some newbies?
I'm leading a group of 3 on a 14k foot peak with a little exposed class 3-4.

One of the three in the group is my regular partner; she and I climb 5.9-10 regularly at crags but very rarely take a rope when climbing class 3-4 peaks. The other two in the group are extremely fit ...
Read more : What size rope do you use? | Views : 2770 | Replies : 2

Lots of gear for sale (updated 12/18)...

Alright, check it out here folks! Prices are excluding shipping (we'll gladly ship, or you can pick it up in Bishop, Ca). Let's make all transactions via Paypal, 'cause it's just so much easier than any other option... Contact me here, or via PM or by e-mail jediah_porter at hotmail dot com You could also make me an offer... can't hurt.

updated 12/18

Ski Stuff:
• Nordica w105 skis, 170cm. Used, some base repair completed, ...
Read more : Lots of gear for sale (updated 12/18)... | Views : 4244 | Replies : 14

Help me make it through the day (post trek recovery)

I just finished another John Muir Trail, landing safely in a nice double bed in the lovely Dow Villa, and although I've felt tired on past (JMT) trips, I'm really walking like a zombie and feeling as though I'm only half awake and never left that bed. It's been two weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xSLpM8XPRQ

I wake in the morning and it's an effort to move my limbs (funny, how I can ...
Read more : Help me make it through the day (post trek recovery) | Views : 4424 | Replies : 10

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558004 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136531