It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:25 am

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

DMM 'camalots'

Stole this off cc.com ..

http://www.dmmclimbing.com/news.asp?nid=216&ngroup=1

Familiar design, eh ? They will call them the Dragons.
Read more : DMM 'camalots' | Views : 7223 | Replies : 19

double plastic boots for north col Everest

I'm trying to decide on the boots for North Col Everest expedition. This is will be May
expedition that it's slightly warmer then April one and Koflach double plastic boots
are recommended by the expedition web site.

Main use of these boots for this expedition is the climb from advanced base camp to North
Col and back. Which is first walking on the rock to the crampon point and then snow/ice
climbing on 20-45 degree ...
Read more : double plastic boots for north col Everest | Views : 16683 | Replies : 31

Sharpening Crampons

Hi,

This last weekend I was on the Whitney Main Trail. What should have been a rigorous hike up the many switchbacks turned into a good amount of snow travel across snow fields covering a number of them due to several straight days of blizzard and lightning storm conditions, including the day I went up (chased us back down from Trail Crest). Since some of the covered switchbacks were close together, ended up leaving my ...
Read more : Sharpening Crampons | Views : 6904 | Replies : 18

Mountain Lion protection

Ok, you will probably never see a mountain lion let alone be attacked by one, but it happens. Since most mountain lions attack people from behind and go for the neck, I thought something similar to the HANS device used in racing might help someone survive a mountain lion attack. Those extra couple seconds might be enough time to let the cougar know you are not an easy meal and it may decide to retreat. ...
Read more : Mountain Lion protection | Views : 58118 | Replies : 59

FS: 40 Below Purple Haze overboots size M - used once - $100

These overboots kept my feet toasty on the summit of Denali last summer, as described, here. I only used them once, from 17k camp to the summit and back. They were purchased in May of '08. They have a handful of small crampon nicks, as can be seen in these photos. Product info can be found at Forty Below.

FedEx standard shipping in the lower 48 (US) is included for $100, though I can ship ...
Read more : FS: 40 Below Purple Haze overboots size M - used once - $100 | Views : 2525 | Replies : 2

Exped DownMat 7 - Pin holes??

Hello, I am wondering if anyone else has had any problems with their Exped DownMat 7 (or 9) forming pin holes. The last few times I used the mat it seemed fine but on my last winter backpack a couple of weeks ago it completly deflated in 30 minutes and I found myself with no mat between me and the snow! When I put the inflated mat in the tub to find the hole I ...
Read more : Exped DownMat 7 - Pin holes?? | Views : 8153 | Replies : 11

New NeoAir too good to be true?

That is sickkkkk. Thermarest has been truthful up to this point as far as i'm concerned. ItThe site says it comes out in April so there won't be any hands on experiences for now =(
This could be the one to change me from foam to air mattress. hmmmm
Read more : New NeoAir too good to be true? | Views : 17298 | Replies : 51

90cm walkers ice axe

Hi all,

I guess for ease of me getting a 90cm walkers ice axe this is directed at guys and girls living in the European Union.

Being big and old I tend to walk the hills and mountains with my two Lekis part holding me up!

But I tend to keep using them in winter when I should really get my 65cm ice axe off my rucksac.

On the Snowdon summit ridge last week a ...
Read more : 90cm walkers ice axe | Views : 10555 | Replies : 18

GPS: What do you use, and why?

Out of curiousity,

WHICH GPS do you use?
WHY did you chose that one over another?

I am looking into getting a GPS to map routes, especially those in thick forrested areas where the desirable path is hard to follow (such as on Vancouver Island). I also am an advid caver, and would be nice to map locations of entrances as they are easily lost.
I have been looking at the Garmin Geko 301, and ...
Read more : GPS: What do you use, and why? | Views : 24918 | Replies : 130

Sleeping Pad

Well, the trusty inflatable thermarest suffered one too many abrasions, and despite considerable patching/seam sealer is still leaking air, so it looks like I will be investing in a new pad soon enough. The question is this: inflatable or closed cell foam? I have used the inflatable thermarests for quite some time, and have never had any real issues (until now). I do a decent amount of snow camping/mountaineering, and my main concern is whether ...
Read more : Sleeping Pad | Views : 16360 | Replies : 34

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557970 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136459