It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:49 am

News News of News

Site map of News » Forum : News

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.

Paraplegic summits Kilimanjaro

http://usparalympics.org/news/article/16586

On Wednesday, seven-time US Paralympian Chris Waddell reached the highest point in Africa (elevation 19,340) without the use of his legs. Using only his upper body strength, steely focus, and supreme patience, Waddell cranked his off-road handcycle up the Marangu route of Mt. Kilimanjaro for seven days and achieved his goal just two days after his 41st birthday. He is believed to be the first paraplegic to ...
Read more : Paraplegic summits Kilimanjaro | Views : 3627 | Replies : 5

Oh Eun-Sun close to 14 x 8000 now

But she missed on the first attempt because of bad weather.
If she makes the summit of Annapurna she'll be the first woman ever to climb all the 8000m giants of the world.

“Kim Jae-Soo Kim and Miss Oh Eun-Sun Oh attempted to reach Annapurna summit on October 3rd – but retreated from C3 due to bad weather conditions,” ExWeb’s Korea correspondent Kyu Dam-Lee reported.

“Probably Kim may dismantle his camps, while Miss Oh may ...
Read more : Oh Eun-Sun close to 14 x 8000 now | Views : 2047 | Replies : 0

Andrew Lock about to join mountaineering super elite

Hi guys...

I'm following some exciting news very closely. Australian Andrew Lock is currently somewhere near the summit on Tibet’s Shishapangma and is hopefully about to become the 15th person EVER to bag all 8000 + peaks..

12 people have stood on the moon and so far only 14 have done this.. So big news particularly for us Aussies.

I've made arrangements to hopefully get word via sat phone either from the summit or on ...
Read more : Andrew Lock about to join mountaineering super elite | Views : 5005 | Replies : 9

Charles Houston (1913 - 2009)

Charles Snead Houston (August 24, 1913 - September 27, 2009) passed away this past Sunday in the presence of his family and beloved golden retriever Pooh Bear. For those of us in the mountaineering community, Charlie is synonymous with K2, having led both the 1938 and 1953 American expeditions. His climbing career began at age 12 with a hike in the Swiss Alps, followed by a half-dozen ascents in the Austrian Alps at age 18. ...
Read more : Charles Houston (1913 - 2009) | Views : 4756 | Replies : 8

Rep. Maloney's husband dies on Cho Oyu

Rep Maloney's husband perishes on Cho Oyu... developing/sad

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD9AV99D00

"I am told that his last words were, 'I am the happiest man in the world. I just climbed a beautiful mountain,'" said Barry Nolan, a congressional aide who works with Carolyn Maloney.
Read more : Rep. Maloney's husband dies on Cho Oyu | Views : 5563 | Replies : 10

Climber needed for new TV Series

We are looking for a skilled climber/photographer for our new television series, Ancient Tomorrow.
The show features: Vertical Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing, Alpine Climbing, Canyoneering, Spelunking, and High Ropes.

Our experienced climber has experience in setting up safety anchors 2-3 point for top roping, rappelling down waterfalls and canyons, spelunking into caverns, ice climbing, slack lines, Tyrolean traverse, ziplines, tree climbing, pole climbing, and other extreme high ropes (hour glass, postman's walk).

Our ideal climber ...
Read more : Climber needed for new TV Series | Views : 3343 | Replies : 5

New guidebook for Nor Cal

OK, I'm the author (with Chris Summit) and this is a shameful plug for our book that just arrived (8,000 lbs of it!)...

Larger 8"x10" format, 456 pgs, over 100 crags in Northern California, over 2,000 routes (trad, sport, TR, bouldering - maps, photos, topos)

It'll get you anywhere worth climbing north of the Kern River. A Select guide! Many out of print/or hard to get info areas - KERN, NEEDLES, KINGS/SEQI, CALAVERAS, COURTRIGHT, ...
Read more : New guidebook for Nor Cal | Views : 4435 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557977 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136473