It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:13 pm

News News of Colorado

Site map of Colorado » Forum : Colorado

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

Colorado weekend hike preparing for Mt Kilimanjaro

I will be climbing Kilimanjaro on Aug 15th (in about a month). I am planning a weekend trip to Colorado Aug 5 - &th to do a couple of hikes to get a little bit if expereince with higher altitude. Being from Dallas, we don't have any mountains or anything close to high altitude. I hope someone might help me with some suggestions for the hikes. I am flying into Denver that Friday evening and ...
Read more : Colorado weekend hike preparing for Mt Kilimanjaro | Views : 10428 | Replies : 13

Camping Sites - Recreation.gov

I'm looking to take my family car camping this summer and just about all of the campsites are already booked through August. The remaining ones are first come first serve. Does anyone else find this pretty frustrating? I'm looking to find a place within a couple hours of Denver that will be available. Does anyone have any suggestions for go to stops that don't overflow. Appreciate any suggestions.
Read more : Camping Sites - Recreation.gov | Views : 3291 | Replies : 1

Summer 14er marathon?

I know some guy did them all in under 10 days but he had lots of support. I'm talking 2 guys, a van, no support, 90 days, can this be done and what would it look like? Thoughts?
Read more : Summer 14er marathon? | Views : 4639 | Replies : 5

East side access into Gore Range

Hey all,

First post on the site - I am looking to get back into the Gore range in a few weeks. I am hoping to access the Brush Creek trailhead via Brush Creek Rd. Has anyone driven up that road this year? I know in years past it was pretty nasty, but heard that with the fire last year they graded the road, so I'm thinking it might be in better condition? Thoughts? I ...
Read more : East side access into Gore Range | Views : 3907 | Replies : 1

Gores in early to mid-July

Based on what I can see from the Vail webcams, it looks like there is still a fair amount of snow in the Gore Range. Has anyone been in recently that can report on snow/ice conditions? We are wondering if we will need to pack microspikes (or more) for a trip in mid-July. Day hikes only, but planning a Mt. Powell excursion and wondering about Kneeknocker Pass and the ascent of Powell's east face.
Thanks!
Read more : Gores in early to mid-July | Views : 3231 | Replies : 2

Current Conditions Blanca, Crestone, and Sangres

I am wondering what the conditions are like in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, and especially the 14ers. Still pretty snowy? Doable in hiking shoes? 2WD parking accessible? 4WD trailheads accessible?

Thanks.
Read more : Current Conditions Blanca, Crestone, and Sangres | Views : 3260 | Replies : 3

Class 3 Near Buena Vista, CO?

Are there any good class 3 peak scrambles/routes near Buena Vista? Most of the well-known nearby peaks (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.) seem to be mostly class 1 or 2. Looking for some potentially more interesting routes to tackle.
Read more : Class 3 Near Buena Vista, CO? | Views : 3797 | Replies : 2

PERMISSION to hike Blanca Basin??

Does anyone know who owns the property south of Mt. Blanca? Thank you!! :)
Read more : PERMISSION to hike Blanca Basin?? | Views : 5043 | Replies : 5

September weather for three 14'er traverse?

Hi All, I'd greatly appreciate your assistance!

A friend and I are planning a trip to Colorado to do some climbing/hiking (mostly for endurance training), and we're trying to figure out expected weather. We're looking at the Mt. Democrat/Lincoln/Bross traverse. We're probably going to end up in the middle to end of September. Can anyone advise on what kind of weather we can expect at that point? We're more than comfortable with crampons/ice axes, so ...
Read more : September weather for three 14'er traverse? | Views : 4040 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136501