It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:53 pm

News News of Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Site map of Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast) » Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.

How are the bugs in Maine?

Getting ready to travel to the NE for my semi-annual trip and coming a bit earlier in the year than usual. Just wondering how bad the bugs are in Maine (trying to do as many 4000ers there as possible this trip) right now. They are pretty bad this time of year in the west so I am assuming worse in Maine. Am I in danger of having my blood all sucked out and my bones ...
Read more : How are the bugs in Maine? | Views : 6897 | Replies : 6

Adirondacks Help - Coucsachraga to Seward

I'm working on the 4000 footers and was looking at how somewhat close the Santanoni and Seward ranges are. I'm wondering if it is possible to connect them by going down to the valley between them to the Cold River, without ripping holes in my pack from tight excessive bushwacking. I've read a couple people bushwacking down to the Cold River along some stream beds from Couchsachraga. I haven't read much about how to get ...
Read more : Adirondacks Help - Coucsachraga to Seward | Views : 3979 | Replies : 2

Mt. Washington - what comes next?

Hey all,
First post, and glad to not be lurking any longer. Some friends and I did Mt. Washington last week via Lions Head, and it was spectacular. Especially the Lions Head itself. I'm looking forward to the next winter season (since I live in Ohio, my lead time for travel/logistics is longer), and I'd like to know what you all think is a good mountaineering destination similar to Mt. Washington that we can tackle ...
Read more : Mt. Washington - what comes next? | Views : 8637 | Replies : 7

Spruce Knob, WV Highpoint Access in Winter

Short cut up gully to 104.jpg
Greetings - I searched this forum for any intel and looked at the Spruce Knob page about access to this HP in the winter. I got most of what I needed but had 2 specific questions for anyone that is familiar with the area ...

I have a trip the area at the end of March. Assuming the worst case scenario that both Forest Route 112 ...
Read more : Spruce Knob, WV Highpoint Access in Winter | Views : 5074 | Replies : 2

Chimney Tops Summit Closed Indefinitely

Considering the loss of life and property damage due to those fires I suppose it is all relative, but the Chimney Tops are a special place to me! I made my first trip to the Chimneys back in 1993...and there have been 20 more after that first one, with my closest of friends. There is nothing finer than to sit on that summit block watching the sunrise and that glorious view down into the Sugarlands ...
Read more : Chimney Tops Summit Closed Indefinitely | Views : 4127 | Replies : 0

Summer hikes

Hi guys,

I'm kind of new here but I have been hiking for a while now. Last year I hiked LaFayette and really enjoyed it, nice trail, nice landscapes and the backcountry camping spots were awesome. This summer I was planning on hiking again with my brother-in-law and sister. We're all in very good shape and like a challenge. Since we're students we'd prefer something not expensive (reachable by car if possible). I'm from Quebec ...
Read more : Summer hikes | Views : 5209 | Replies : 2

Mt. Marcy help

Hi, so me and my brother plan to winter summit Mt. Marcy from Adirondack Loj and I need some tips for the trip. So I think we are doing something not so ambition but because we aren't very experienced we could start here. I just need to know some details, like is it required to bring snowshoes, can we make a fire, what do we do about the water situation (do we fill up on ...
Read more : Mt. Marcy help | Views : 5723 | Replies : 3

Peaks For Pets & The N.E.U.8 Hiking Challenge!

Hey everyone please spread the word and help us raise money for the SPCA doing what we love! The following links are to Doug Duncan's newly created program Peaks for Pets all the money goes directly to the SPCA. Our goal and vision is to bag peaks for pets!

The North East Ultra 8 is our Ultra Mountain Challenge we invite everyone to come join in on! These hikes are completed in 24hrs or less!!!! ...
Read more : Peaks For Pets & The N.E.U.8 Hiking Challenge! | Views : 13488 | Replies : 1

Lincoln Peak - Vermont

Is Lincoln Peak in Vermont's Green Mountains considered a separate mountain or not due to it's low prominence? Is there a rule as to how much prominence a peak has to have in New England/Vermont to be considered a mountain? Just hiked this ridge from Abraham to Ellen last week and I noted all the signs along the way denoting Little Abe, Lincoln Peak, Nancy Hanks Peak while Cutts Peak didn't have one. (Interestingly enough, ...
Read more : Lincoln Peak - Vermont | Views : 6122 | Replies : 4

NE winter boot advice for 4kers

I have always been an avid backcountry skier out west so plenty of above treeline experience, but now that I live in New England I find myself more drawn to just hiking. I have never been much of a winter hiker outside of skiing so I am a newb in terms of equipment, and I tend to get cold toes as well.

I am going to try to climb all the 4kers in New England ...
Read more : NE winter boot advice for 4kers | Views : 6354 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557962 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136434