It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:55 pm

News News of Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Site map of Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast) » Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.

Devils Path

Hello Everyone-
I'm hoping to do a traverse of the Devil's Path, and am wondering about the parking at the Prediger Road trailhead.

Can anyone tell me if:
A: There is reliable parking space on a Friday night.
B: If there is any space to pitch a tent ( a grassy area? ), and if it is even allowed.
C: If not, can anyone suggest a local spot that might allow a quick overnight ( ...
Read more : Devils Path | Views : 4371 | Replies : 0

Practice for the Presidential Traverse

Hello! First post.

I'm looking to do the Presidential Traverse this August, some time around the 8th. The person I'm going with and I have never done such a long hike. We did Mt. Washington last year and we're knocking off some 4000 footers in NH and VT though. I was thinking of going along Vermont's Long Trail from north of Camel's Hump down to Lincoln Gap as a sort of practice run. Has anyone ...
Read more : Practice for the Presidential Traverse | Views : 8627 | Replies : 5

Lost jacket on Mt Colden

I lost a light green hooded down jacket on Mt Colden on May 21. A co-hiker had seen it and put it in a tree not recognizing it as mine. If anyone found it and wouldn't mind shipping it back to me (Canada) I would of course pay for shipping. Or, hand it in to the Wildwood Inn in Lake Placid, but in any case please let me know. The jacket has Everest written on ...
Read more : Lost jacket on Mt Colden | Views : 4276 | Replies : 0

East Coast Climbing

Hey guys!
Moved out to Montana last fall, and have gotten really into climbing! Next week I'm flying out to Vermont for the summer. I've never heard of the East being known for its climbing, but does anyone know of places to at least stay in practice?

Cheers!
Erik
Read more : East Coast Climbing | Views : 7037 | Replies : 2

Mount Washington New Hampshire Question

My reason for registering is to confirm my recollection of a trip to Mount Washington in 1975. I believe we (a group of about eight young people - early twenties at that time) took the cog railway to the summit and then decided to walk down. We weren't mountaineers and I recall that the hike down was not difficult at that time. Almost at the bottom we had a choice of going across the cog ...
Read more : Mount Washington New Hampshire Question | Views : 6339 | Replies : 2

NH 4k canine peakbagger's 1st winter hike

Cori (half lab, half german shepherd) bagged 14 peaks last summer/fall starting soon after she turned 1 on Dr.s orders (both mine and hers). I have never done a hike in the winter. I did look through some trip reports, and had an idea where to start (Waumbek), but wanted some advice, since I definitely need to be making some purchases.

I do have:
snow boots
new warm mittens
snow pants
a crappy winter hat ...
Read more : NH 4k canine peakbagger's 1st winter hike | Views : 5883 | Replies : 5

Adirondack High Peaks

Hello Everyone-
Does anybody have any recent info regarding the snow amounts in the high peaks? I know they got a bit of snow lately, but I'm wondering if it is even enough for snowshoes? I think the rules were that you needed them if there was more then 6 inches.

Any information you can pass along would be great. Thanks
Read more : Adirondack High Peaks | Views : 5709 | Replies : 3

Central New York Winter climb

I recently moved to Syracuse, NY. I'm originally from the PNW and climb with my brothers who are coming out for a winter climb. I'm still getting to know the area and looking for recommendations-we are used to glacier trips and alpine climbs, so we're hoping to fit in a 2 day trip: ice climb, snow shoe and winter camping. Any suggestions? I've heard good things about the Adirondacks, but so far I'm finding a ...
Read more : Central New York Winter climb | Views : 5922 | Replies : 2

Bike Tour of ADK 46ers in 2 Weeks!

Pretty sweet trip report on hiking all these peaks in 2 weeks using only a bicycle to get between peaks.

http://bikepackersmagazine.com/tour-adirondack-46er/
Read more : Bike Tour of ADK 46ers in 2 Weeks! | Views : 4256 | Replies : 0

Searching for NE mountain to run—Katahdin?

I’m looking for a good mountain in the Northeast to run during next summer’s vacation.

“Good” means a trail that has a high percentage of runnable terrain, that is associated with lots of elevation gain and that ideally tops out someplace special.

A couple of years ago, I ran Mt. Marcy in NY and loved it. Last year, I ran Mt. Washington in NH and liked it — but not quite as much as Marcy. ...
Read more : Searching for NE mountain to run—Katahdin? | Views : 7591 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557970 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136459