It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:11 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

Views from Home

do you really want to see a photo of red brick? :cry:
Read more : Views from Home | Views : 24780 | Replies : 68 | Forum : General

Garmin GPSmap 62

Anyone has tried new Garmin GPSmap 62 handhelds? How is it comparing Dakota 20?

Read more : Garmin GPSmap 62 | Views : 3259 | Replies : 10 | Forum : Gear

Tree Climb rope as Rock CLimb/Mountaineering rope?

I was looking for some good rope online that wouldn't break the bank the other day, and I came across tree climbing rope...Anyone ever try using it for light rock climbing/mountaineering? From what I've read, tree climb rope is designed to take a fall the way rock climbing rope is, only it doesn't have as much stretch. It's cheaper, but I don't want to risk safety. Anyone got any feedback?
Read more : Tree Climb rope as Rock CLimb/Mountaineering rope? | Views : 8343 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Gear

Clothing System for Denali and other COLD Mountains

I have been thinking about a clothing system for Denali and other peaks in Alaska in the spring/early summer. Just wondering what some of the veterans of these very cold places think about this setup.

1- Base Layer T-Shirt
2-Base Layer long sleeve
3-Ark'Teryk Delta AR Pullover - very similar to R1
4-Micro weight insulated jacket- Atom LT Hoody - 60g/m
5-Houdini windshirt
6-Heavy weight insulated jacket- Montbell Thermawrap Parka - 80g/m
7-Belay Parka ...
Read more : Clothing System for Denali and other COLD Mountains | Views : 7596 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Gear

Scarpa Inverno rubbing on calf

I recently purchased Scarpa Invernos and did some hiking to break them in.

I was wearing liner and wool socks and around 3-4 miles into the hike, I noticed that the top back portion of the inner boot was rubbing my left and right inner calf and had left it raw and bleeding a bit.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be? I've searched the forums for posters with similar problems, but most other ...
Read more : Scarpa Inverno rubbing on calf | Views : 2006 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Gear

Midges!!!

Can anyone offer me some advice in dealing with midges/gnats (I think that's what they're called). Their bite is causing a pretty nasty long lasting welt and I'm fed up with them. I'm not sure where else these exist, but I'm living in Grand Junction, CO and they're thick as molasses!

So please, if you any experience with preventing the bite or how to deal with the bite it would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
Read more : Midges!!! | Views : 33799 | Replies : 28 | Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Steep, The movie...

Last night I watched the movie Steep....What a great movie....
An incredible tale...!
Read more : Steep, The movie... | Views : 3037 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General

Nutrition & Hydration

I did a search and read a number of threads on this, but came away more confused than ever. Over the last few years, I have made a concerted effort to get away from artificial crap and eat real food. For long hikes and approaches, I have switched to things like meat/cheese/nuts and like it much better. My question is what to do do on summit day and similar conditions where you are outputting at ...
Read more : Nutrition & Hydration | Views : 11573 | Replies : 19 | Forum : Technique and Training

Crevasse rescue swiss haul

Hi,

does anyone have picture-illustrations or a verbal description of the Swiss-hoist crevasse rescue technique?
I don't know if this is the official name of this type of hoist, and cannot seem te find information about it.

It is a hauling system that can overcome knots you have put between you and your partner to arrest the fall, without it being necessary to drop a loop of rope into the crevasse to the victim (this ...
Read more : Crevasse rescue swiss haul | Views : 4586 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Technique and Training

hikes/climb with more that 4000 mts/13000 fts gain.

In Guatemala is a really nice and hardcore challenge, to climb 3 big volcanoes adding more that 5000 mts/16404 ft gain

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... id=1174184

Anyone knows about more hikes like this??
Read more : hikes/climb with more that 4000 mts/13000 fts gain. | Views : 2366 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136498