It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:07 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

Pro for Slab Climbing?

First, I'm not a true rock climber. I don't have any climbing gear other than a helmet, 3 biners, two slings, and a static rope. I've only used the slings and rope on fixed anchors (trees) for rappeling down short cliffs while bushwhacking. All of my "climbing" has been in the NE, and typically consists of granite slab... mostly Class 4 with some low Class 5.

Below are some photos of typical conditions where some ...
Read more : Pro for Slab Climbing? | Views : 10435 | Replies : 26 | Forum : Gear

Does your personal carbon footprint really matter?

My new rig to drive around the hills and town.

Definitely doing my part to impart my Carbon Footprint on my surroundings... yup!
Read more : Does your personal carbon footprint really matter? | Views : 14888 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General

Can this support method is correct?

One of my friends lacked Harnes this method could be used to support, My friend and I have a problem now that this is correct or not?
Read more : Can this support method is correct? | Views : 2316 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Technique and Training

The Pirate

WATCH & GET MOTIVATED

Gotta love the dude!

A REAL CLIMBER...Inspirational, Awesome Attitude and Super Energy!

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

NJOY!

Ammon!!!

BIG ASS PS: Ammon's been at this game for a longass time. Any of you's out there that will rag on me for even admiring and associating with this type of behavior can immediately STFU! Don't even try it.
Read more : The Pirate | Views : 8478 | Replies : 39 | Forum : General

Kong GIGI - belaying a leader

Hello,

I was wondering why it isn't possible to belay a leader with a Kong GIGI? The CAMP Ovo (which looks exactly the same) can be used to belay a leader, at least it says so in it's manual; http://www.camp-usa.com/products/produc ... MP-Ovo.pdf.

Thanks in advance!
Grtz, Bart
Read more : Kong GIGI - belaying a leader | Views : 3400 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Gear

I need help deciding a 14er this weekend......

My wife is turning ** (shed kill me if I said) so anywase her birthday is coming up. She wants to hike up a 14er here in CO.

I have limited gear for her. No crampons or snowshoes....=(

She is extremely fit and can usually out run me in the mountains.

I have enough gear to climb anything I want.

More or less, what can we hike up rite now that wont make her hate ...
Read more : I need help deciding a 14er this weekend...... | Views : 1615 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General

Fred Beckey

I met Fred Beckey on my recent trip to the Ruth Gorge. What a treat! it was one of the highlights of my trip. See the pic on the link below. He shared with me what it was like while climbing the Northwest Ridge of Denali way back in 1954. I would have been happy meeting him anywhere, but to meet him on the Ruth was a real treat. He is a man who truly ...
Read more : Fred Beckey | Views : 3582 | Replies : 8 | Forum : General

FS: Arc'teryx Clothing

Up for sale are the following items.

1: Arc’teryx Tau Jacket---2009 Model, Size Large, Color Black. It is in like-new condition. I bought it last year and have only worn it 2 times around town and decided that it was too large for me. This is a fantastic fleece jacket, surprisingly windproof and warm, its great for layering while skiing, snowshoeing, backpacking, and is still casual enough to wear around town.

More details can be ...
Read more : FS: Arc'teryx Clothing | Views : 2412 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Gear

A Mouse Ate My Rope

I've heard this before but always been somewhat skeptical. Sure enough, there was a full on core-shot, rope is now trashed.
I checked all my other gear and it is all good. Thankfully he left both of my half ropes alone.
Read more : A Mouse Ate My Rope | Views : 1659 | Replies : 13 | Forum : Gear

Alpine climber

I have just had a interesting PM conversation, which caused me to wonder how the alpine climbers among us define "alpine climber".

The person I had this conversation with, did not make a distinction between alpine climber and alpine style climber.

To me, the first is about which kind of mountains, the second about how you climb them. A rather important distinction. But maybe it doesn't exist?

What say you?

(Of course I know that ...
Read more : Alpine climber | Views : 22902 | Replies : 68 | Forum : General

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557954 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136418