It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:20 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

Two fatalities in Yellowstone ice climb

Names not yet released:

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... wstone5914

RIP. Condolences to family and friends.
Read more : Two fatalities in Yellowstone ice climb | Views : 3304 | Replies : 2 | Forum : News

Another SPrs view of Pellucid Wombats decisions

Mark has a very heartfelt article "Why we Climb...." that I'm sure many have read. One SPer has left a message to the article lambasting Mark and his actions. Maybe I shouldn't start this thread and this guy just goes away, or maybe he needs to be heard from some others on the subject. I can't speak from a technical perspective but from a humanistic standpoint, I can. I found his message to Mark rather ...
Read more : Another SPrs view of Pellucid Wombats decisions | Views : 31844 | Replies : 200 | Forum : General

Debris covered glacier

Something I've been thinking on, how safe is it to walk on a glacier that is completely covered by rocks/boulders?
Read more : Debris covered glacier | Views : 7397 | Replies : 18 | Forum : General

Ways to lessen effects of altitude if unable to acclimatize

I'm going to Colorado for a business trip and plan on a couple hikes in the Rockies. Most likely we will do a 14k hike. I'm from New York and the highest elevation I have been is 6,288 ft at Mt Washington. I'm going with a friend who has also never been above 10,000 ft. We will be in Colorado 3 days before we plan on hiking, but given this is a business trip I ...

Ways to lessen effects of altitude if unable to acclimatize

I'm going to Colorado for a business trip and plan on a couple hikes in the Rockies. I'm from New York and the highest elevation I have been is 6,288 ft at Mt Washington. I'm going with a friend who has also never been above 10,000 ft. We will be in Colorado 3 days before we plan on hiking, but given this is a business trip I don't have any time to acclimatize for the ...
Read more : Ways to lessen effects of altitude if unable to acclimatize | Views : 5687 | Replies : 18 | Forum : Technique and Training

DuckDuckGo now has a !summitpost operator

Hi all,
I've been using the new search engine DuckDuckGo, which is more anonymous, quicker, less cluttered than Google, and also offers a nice keyboard interface (vi-like keys to scan results).

But more importantly, they have a neat feature that lets you run a search directly in an important site. I requested a summitpost operator and they obliged, so in the search box you can type !summitpost Owens River Gorge and directly run the search ...
Read more : DuckDuckGo now has a !summitpost operator | Views : 5654 | Replies : 26 | Forum : General

Great CS - The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry

Just wanted to let everyone know what great customer service I received from a company called The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry. I recently purchased a new size large Osprey Aether 85 pack from them at a great discount on ebay for my trip to Denali but it was to big. I'm right in between the Osprey size medium and large so I exchanged it for a medium. Unfortunately the replacement shipment went missing somewhere between ...
Read more : Great CS - The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry | Views : 765 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Gear

More than 14 8K peaks

We all know that there are 14 mountains with summits higher than 8000 meters but a few of them have more than one. For example, Lhotse has three: Lhotse Main 8516m, Lhotse Shar 8383m and Lhotse Middle or East 8413m. I've counted about 23.

Are there any climbers who have climbed them all? Who has the most?
Read more : More than 14 8K peaks | Views : 3629 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General

SP'er Radson Summits Everest

Regular SP contributor Radson and his partner Sandy summited yesterday, from the south.

http://www.alanarnette.com/news/2010/05 ... e-3-recap/
Read more : SP'er Radson Summits Everest | Views : 6648 | Replies : 32 | Forum : News

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557988 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136496