It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 7:03 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

7/7/18 Need A Ride in the White Mountains NH 7/7/18 Need A Ride in the White Mountains NH

Hi All,

I am doing a solo Presidential Traverse in the White Mountains of NH on 7/7/18. I will be starting at the Valley Way Trailhead and I will end at the Webster/Jackson Trail Trailhead. I plan on finishing between 4:30 - 6:30 pm (hopefully closer to the 4 PM mark if weather holds) and unfortunately this will be too late for the shuttle. I will need a ride back to my car at the ...
Read more : 7/7/18 Need A Ride in the White Mountains NH | Views : 1605 | Replies : 0

Trying to post an item in classifieds but not working

Hi I'm trying to post a Mountain Hardwear BMG 105 pack in the classifieds but it won't let me create a post. Any idea what's wrong?
Read more : Trying to post an item in classifieds but not working | Views : 1670 | Replies : 0

A hiking competition!

Hello everybody my name is Ashley)
I am organizing a hiking competition between my close friends in a downhill, where cell phone connection might be bad. I will need to track them and stay in touch just in case smth goes wrong. What do you recommend?
Read more : A hiking competition! | Views : 2388 | Replies : 0

REI to Match Donations to Access Fund Through June 30

Right now if you join the Access Fund, REI will match your donation.

If you are concerned about current policies regarding public lands and possible access issues for climbers, consider doing this.

That's it. Not trying to go into partisan politics here. This for me is about conservation of and access to public lands, something people of all political leanings can share.

https://www.accessfund.org/?_ga=2.97075931.510586440.1529439876-1117734925.1529439876
Read more : REI to Match Donations to Access Fund Through June 30 | Views : 2007 | Replies : 0

Best rope dia for glacier - trade off of weight vs rescue?

Hey folks, going back through some older posts here it seems that a half rope is a favored option for glacier travel. There seem to be some differing opinions of whether it’s better to go lighter and thinner (in the range 7 - 8mm), or slightly thicker (8.5-9mm). Obviously a thinner rope reduces weight but my understanding is that it makes rescue and belay tasks more difficult.

I’m looking at ropes like the Black Diamond ...
Read more : Best rope dia for glacier - trade off of weight vs rescue? | Views : 3890 | Replies : 2

Connection and communication

Hey everybody! Guys, I am new to hiking and would like to ask how do you guys deal with lack of mobile connection?
Read more : Connection and communication | Views : 4850 | Replies : 8

Policy change at Google likely means the end of Gmap4 maps

The map software I developed, Gmap4, will likely stop working after June 10th. I know there are many peak pages here on SP that include an embedded Gmap4 map. Sorry for the bad news.

Last week Google announced a major price increase for all maps that use the Google Map API (Application Program Interface). This includes Gmap4 and other popular browser-based map apps. Each time a map is opened, the API code is downloaded from ...
Read more : Policy change at Google likely means the end of Gmap4 maps | Views : 3916 | Replies : 2

I met a guy on Pinnacles/Emory Peak trail

on April 25th. We talked a lot about climbing. If you are here, and see this, please hit me up.
Read more : I met a guy on Pinnacles/Emory Peak trail | Views : 1627 | Replies : 0

Knots in rope for glacial travel

I am curious about anyone's thoughts regarding knots used in rope to arrest crevasse fall. I have also read that they are effective. There are many videos and descriptions that recommend using knots between climbers when travelling across glaciers. However as far as I can see, none give detail in what to do if you have to haul someone out and you have knots in the system. Petzel have a description, but it is shown ...
Read more : Knots in rope for glacial travel | Views : 4113 | Replies : 4

Arcteryx Bora 80 Arcteryx Bora 80

I hoping someone has had to deal with this at some point so I'm putting it out in hopes of some insight. I'm passing down an older Arcteryx Bora 80 to my 16yo son for a two week backpacking trip he will be taking in Squamish, BC , Canada this summer. The Bora was/is a great pack for long trips where you have to bring everything in with you. Arcteryx has helped me out with ...
Read more : Arcteryx Bora 80 | Views : 3301 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558014 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136574