It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:40 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Rope team of two climbers in F to PD+ alpine routes

What would you do :?: I'm considering on roping Nadie and me on routes as those in the title. But knowing that rope teams of two members are not recommendable I don't know if we should do it on such glacier routes in Mont Blanc Massif, Valais or Oberland Bernese routes. Another thing that I'm considering is a helmet, I think that we should use it on ...
Read more : Rope team of two climbers in F to PD+ alpine routes | Views : 13982 | Replies : 44

Nice way down

After the long haul up a mountain, there are a couple of options for the descent.
http://www.vimeo.com/1778399
Just totally amaaaazing...
Read more : Nice way down | Views : 4708 | Replies : 21

SP member gets a write up!

Hey everyone, I thought you all might be interested to know that our own thephotohiker has received a nice write up in the Missoulian: Climbing 55: Corvallis man plans guidebook after summer of Bitterroot summits. Mike had a great summer, and I am sure he will be typing away this winter! I am personally very excited about this project. :D
Congratulations Mike!
Read more : SP member gets a write up! | Views : 2068 | Replies : 2

Please Help for a research

Hi everybody
I've got an email from a friend managing a research about climbers. His research may lead to solve some social problems that climbers may have with their family and firends about their sense and fear of dangers in mountains.
I answered the questions myself and forwarded it to all my friends. Because we live in Iran, I though his target is just Iranian mountaineering community, but when I saw him and asked about, ...
Read more : Please Help for a research | Views : 3728 | Replies : 12

What do you look for in a mountain climbing website

I'm currently developing my first website for fun (fun is a relative term), and wanting to know what the community might be looking for in terms of features. Personally, I tend to use three or four websites for my information and would not mind having it all in one place. Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone interested in beta-testing some features?

I'm not looking to replace summitpost.org as I feel it is a great site, but would like ...
Read more : What do you look for in a mountain climbing website | Views : 6720 | Replies : 21

Climbing and wealth

Similar to the "climbing=white person's sport" thread, I have noticed that almost all of the climbers I encounter are middle-class. There are exceptions, as I have climbed with some more wealthy people and I have a friend I climb with who is fairly poor, but for the most part, climbers seem to be middle-class.

It seems this has fluctuated throughout time. When mountaineering became popular in the mid-1800's, it was all for very wealthy people. ...
Read more : Climbing and wealth | Views : 18525 | Replies : 64

Climbing=White Person's Sport?

Not sure if anybody has brought this up, but has anybody noticed how climbing (and just outdoor activities in general) are very white dominated? Why is this? Out of the several years I have been climbing, I've only seen a handful of non-white people out in the hills. Of course that doesn't mean that they aren't out there, it's just that they are few and far between. Is it a cultural thing? Why do whites ...
Read more : Climbing=White Person's Sport? | Views : 34390 | Replies : 87

Climbing Barefoot

A brief fad in the late '70s, barefoot rock climbing, has always intrigued me. Chalk up the hands and feet and go. People in parts of the world where they can't afford shoes have no choice.

I once lead the Arete, 5.6, at Pt Dume (http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/499319/point-dume.html). That wall is often so greasy that sticky shoes don't matter much. It was an interesting experience. I'd say I'd have to really condition my feet before doing that ...
Read more : Climbing Barefoot | Views : 7397 | Replies : 11

Where to go? (NYE hike)

Mods: feel free to move this, I couldn't think of a better place to put it.

I need to get away. Last time I was in the mountains was last January. I had hopes for some summer climbing, but instead spent the entire summer (and quite a bit of money and vacation time) attending weddings. Eight weddings, to be exact. In the past, friends have stopped talking to me after I went climbing instead of ...
Read more : Where to go? (NYE hike) | Views : 6184 | Replies : 19

Calling all geologist: Erosion or Earthquake?

I've always been curious about this one.

The summit block of is massive rock tower has actually cracked and shifted.

Zoom in:

Some have said they thought the result above was caused by erosion, but I've always speculated that only a earthquake could have done this (maybe not the crack, but the shifting). I guess it would be hard to tell from the photo (or maybe even with the photo), but what do ...
Read more : Calling all geologist: Erosion or Earthquake? | Views : 8339 | Replies : 37

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557946 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136403