Where to go? (NYE hike)

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
blazin

Where to go? (NYE hike)

by blazin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Mods: feel free to move this, I couldn't think of a better place to put it.

I need to get away. Last time I was in the mountains was last January. I had hopes for some summer climbing, but instead spent the entire summer (and quite a bit of money and vacation time) attending weddings. Eight weddings, to be exact. In the past, friends have stopped talking to me after I went climbing instead of being in their weddings. So I thought that this summer I would be a good friend. Boy, do I regret it. But I've learned my lesson. I got invited to two more this month. (Who the f*ck gets married in November?) I told them to forget about it.

As I said, I need to get away. I can swing ten days around New Year's. But where should I go? I don't want to go resort skiing and I don't backcountry ski (how does one learn, anyway?). I want/need solitude. I'd rather thru-hike than hole up somewhere and day hike. I imagine most of the US is off limits in Dec/Jan? I'm willing to go international but don't want to waste a whole lot of time getting there (already crossed Patagonia off the list). Any ideas?
Last edited by blazin on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:28 pm

I'd say the southwest is the place to be. Many desert peaks and great rock climbing (if you're into that). If you don't mind some snow, the local Socal mountains aren't bad and, weather permitting, you could even go up to the Sierra.

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:40 pm

Joshua Tree NP has some good short backpacks and lots of fun climbing and hiking. This is way it's so popular in winter. Even the Euros come over.

If you want some big space and get away from the crowds then the East Mojave Nat'l Preserve is really good. Check out the New York Mountains. You can get totally lost out there.

rpc

by rpc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:01 pm

Who the f*ck gets married in November?

those considerate of their climbing friends, no?

go to canyonlands in ut - large enough to accomodate your multi-day needs.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:16 pm

I did :D ... but in Costa Rica, so no one had to feel bad about not coming :)

blazin

by blazin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:21 pm

rpc wrote:

those considerate of their climbing friends, no?

I suppose you have a point. Not very considerate of those that like to take a week off to spend Thanksgiving with family, though.

The least considerate wedding, I have to say, was the one outdoors in Jersey in August. That was hellish.

Luciano -- now that wedding I might be tempted to go to...

Thanks for the suggestions and keep em comin'!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:28 pm

While I do love the East Mojave and the New York Mountains, I don't think of those as places for a big through-hike; they are really places where you go camp (some really nice, hardly-used camps) and do dayhikes. Reliable water is a serious problem, and the occasional catclaw or cholla patch discourages heavy packing. People often bike through the Mojave in winter, and stop for the occasional climb.

The Panamints (W side Death Valley) have a lot of springs, but once you get above 5000', it's hard to find anything reliable. There are DPS reports of epic backpacks along the Panamints in winter.

The Utah suggestions sound good; just remember that the snow level is unpredictable, and 6000' may get a dumping at times. Even Zion has some good through hikes, and some lower parts of the GC would certainly fill the "remote" bill.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:34 pm

blazin wrote:
The least considerate wedding, I have to say, was the one outdoors in Jersey in August. That was hellish.
:)

I've been to perhaps 5 weddings, held outdoors in bright sun in the summer. I remember squinting so hard that it was painful. I have to wonder, "what were they thinking?"

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:41 pm

I had to go to one in October down here. Usually not too much of a problem unless you have to sit in the sun and the Santa Ana's blow :shock:

blazin

by blazin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:8 weddings in one year? I haven't attended 8 weddings in THIRTY YEARS.

Got in a lot of climbing though!

Go some place warm. Costa Rica sounded pretty good!

DMT

Well, the first one was in Miami--a place I know you're familiar with and can appreciate DMT, given your recent TR--and let me just say that I...umm...enjoyed that one a great deal. So that got me stoked for the subsequent ones, almost all of which left quite a bit to be desired.

So it looks like the SW is the place to go. I'm intrigued by the idea of hitting the GC, is that feasible in January?

rpc

by rpc » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:44 pm

blazin wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:8 weddings in one year? I haven't attended 8 weddings in THIRTY YEARS.

Got in a lot of climbing though!

Go some place warm. Costa Rica sounded pretty good!

DMT

Well, the first one was in Miami--a place I know you're familiar with and can appreciate DMT, given your recent TR--and let me just say that I...umm...enjoyed that one a great deal. So that got me stoked for the subsequent ones, almost all of which left quite a bit to be desired.

So it looks like the SW is the place to go. I'm intrigued by the idea of hitting the GC, is that feasible in January?

you bagged a bride's maid (god...you didn't bag the bride didya???!!! :shock: ) and you have the nerve to bitch about your tough luck??!!
:lol:

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:50 pm

blazin wrote:So it looks like the SW is the place to go. I'm intrigued by the idea of hitting the GC, is that feasible in January?

Why not? The North Rim is closed, but the rest of it is open. Check the weather first. They do get winter storms.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:27 pm

My three year old girl hiked to the bottom and back at that time of year:

http://www.summitpost.org/album/371515/ ... -2007.html

I guess if you can hike as good as a three year old girl it might be feasable. :wink:

Anyway, most of my trips to the Grand Canyon were in winter. I can be cold and snowy in the rim, but it only takes a few hours to drop down to lower elevations. It never gets cold in the bottom of the Grand Canyon and winter is the best time to be there, epscially on routes where there is little water.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:49 pm

Scott wrote:It never gets cold in the bottom of the Grand Canyon and winter is the best time to be there, epscially on routes where there is little water.

I've seen snow flurries down near the bottom during a March storm, and the temperature was in the 30s (F). But still it wasn't COLD cold, I guess.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:55 pm

I've seen snow flurries down near the bottom during a March storm, and the temperature was in the 30s (F). But still it wasn't COLD cold, I guess.

On the trip when the photos were taken above, it was "unusually cold" by Grand Canyon standards and the coldest I've seen the bottom. As mentioned though, the rim was cool. When we started out hike it was 1F on the rim, but after a few hours and once you are in the bottom its much warmer. It was 23F at Indian Gardens the first night and 31F at Phantom Ranch the next. For the bottom of the Grand Canyon it would be considered "unusually cold". Usually it is warmer. Most nights in winter at the bottom don't even freeze and 35-40 is more normal.

It's often colder than that in the Rockies in mid-summer. I camped in 10F weather last August in the Beartooths. :D

Winter in the lower elevations of the Grand Canyon is almost always pleasant and to me probably the best time of year to go (once you are in the bottom). It sure beats the 120F that it can hit in the summer! Once we roasted on a hike through Surprise Canyon in November. Temps were in the mid 80's at that time of year! Usually November is really great though. Last mid-April we had temperatures around 100F and climbing out Eminence Break was a fiery inferno! I soaked myself in the river first, but my clothes dried fast and after 20 minutes or so and after that I was roasting and pouring sweat. In places where the roads are open, November through March is the idea time to go if you are hiking in the bottom, but sometimes crampons are needed on the rim and not all the access roads are open.

Next

Return to General