It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:46 am

News News of Mexico, Central America and Caribbean

Site map of Mexico, Central America and Caribbean » Forum : Mexico, Central America and Caribbean

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.

Kidnapping

I am flying to Mexico City in about 2 weeks in order to climb Orizaba. I heard on the news that kidnapping rates are up 100% since last week. I was wondering if any person can give some insight into this news. Does anybody have any safety tips? Also I was wondering the best way to get a taxi from the airport to the bus station since I've heard the taxi system in Mexico is ...
Read more : Kidnapping | Views : 5171 | Replies : 11

Canyoneering in Baja - Beta wanted

I'm looking for any info on any established/known canyoneering routes in or around Sierra San Pedro Martir, which is north/northwest of San Felipe.

I've checked the American Canyoneering website, and www.dankat.com. Any other resources? Just trying to gather as much info as I can.

Thanks.
Read more : Canyoneering in Baja - Beta wanted | Views : 3893 | Replies : 1

Orizaba This Weekend

Anyone been up recently that can give me info on route conditions?

Also, high and low temperatures to expect at the hut and foot of the glacier? (realizing of course that the weather does at it pleases, but average is good enough)

Thnx
Read more : Orizaba This Weekend | Views : 1964 | Replies : 2

Renting a car and driving to ixta

Hola!

So, I have a 4 day weekend I can take and I am thinking about going to Mexico to climb one of the volcanoes. I am on a tight schedule, so I was thinking of doing Ixta (Popo is still off limits) not Orizaba since it is about 1,000’ shorter and closer to Mexico City. Tickets to Mexico City are like $230 from Minneapolis so that rocks. I was thinking that renting a car ...
Read more : Renting a car and driving to ixta | Views : 3538 | Replies : 9

popo

looking for info about anyone who has climbed popo in last 10 years...i'm considering an attempt soon and would like to know if anyone has ever approached the summit from the west...I am aware of ash and gases...have a plan and would like to share my ideas and hopefully my pics when i return :twisted:
Read more : popo | Views : 6276 | Replies : 14

Backpacking Yucatan

Okay, for starters, I've heard different pronounciations over the years; my entire life I've referred to it, such as, "You-Ka-Tan", what I always thought was the correct pronounciation. However recently, my geology professor, who in my mind is a genius, pronounces it "Yuck-A-Tan" now I am not saying he's wrong, but what say you, summitpost?

Anyways, let us get to the point. For as long as I can remember I've had an irresistable fascination to ...
Read more : Backpacking Yucatan | Views : 3431 | Replies : 1

Pico de Orizaba food situation

If we decide to bring all of our food from the US (freeze dried backpacker meals, oatmeal...) Will they let us bring it through customs? Or should we plan on trying to buy all our food once in Mexico?
Read more : Pico de Orizaba food situation | Views : 3267 | Replies : 6

popo

has anyone climbed popo lately? or heard of onyone who has? I am considering a climb and wonder about a route from the west or a traverse below the crater that allows one to summit from the west. any gas reports other than the standard volcano gases?
Read more : popo | Views : 1864 | Replies : 2

Conditions in March

Two things...
1. What are the conditionslike in March? My group is planning on going from March 22-29. What temperatures should we expect?
2. Does anyone know the distance from Hut-High camp (the one below the glacier) and from High camp to the summit?
Read more : Conditions in March | Views : 2112 | Replies : 4

Map of Pico de Orizaba?

Hey guys. Can anyone direct me to where I can get a good map of Pico de Orizaba? I haven't been able to find one anywhere.
Read more : Map of Pico de Orizaba? | Views : 4899 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558043 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136630