It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 5:07 pm

News News of Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Site map of Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes) » Forum : Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.

need winter ascent ideas

Hi,

Looking to get away for a week or so alone this coming January. I'm looking for some idea's on mountains within 12-15 hours of Iowa (it takes me roughly 11 hours to get to Estes Park, CO) for doing some solo (obviously winter) ascents.

I originally considered the presidents, but just don't feel like doing a 20+ hour drive alone, I would call myself beginner - moderate skills (comfortable in crampons and ice axe, ...
Read more : need winter ascent ideas | Views : 2380 | Replies : 4

where does a poor iowa guy go to climb ice?

so now that i find myself living in Mason City, IA....

...where do you go to climb ice in these here parts?
Read more : where does a poor iowa guy go to climb ice? | Views : 6707 | Replies : 16

Kettle Moraine Northern Unit - W.I. SOLO hiking in NOV?

Whats up Midwesterners..Just got back from Mt Hood trip and ready to get back out there..

so my newest idea is to go back to Kettle Moraine Northern Unit and complete the entire Ice Age Trail section that is within the park - its 30 miles and quite nice trails..I did about 28 miles of it a bit ago..

SO whats the weather going to be like historically about Nov 12- Nov 14th? snow fall? ...
Read more : Kettle Moraine Northern Unit - W.I. SOLO hiking in NOV? | Views : 2058 | Replies : 3

not much going on here

It's getting a little slow on the forum so, dose anyone have any trips planed for the fall and this winter?

I'm going to southern Illinois to do some sport climbing(Jackson Falls)

lets hear about how high your going to get...
Read more : not much going on here | Views : 4590 | Replies : 16

Detroit Marathon, was anybody else there?

I ran Detroit this weekend. Unofficial time was 3:24:xx. Not great, but not bad for my first marathon. I'm exhausted and my legs have never been more sore, but I'm still proud of my time and already planning for another one in the spring.

Link to PnP thread on the subject.

Are Tod, Tim, John, Glen, Justin, Josh, Tony, or Dan on here? Anybody notice/run with #692? Well, that was me.
Read more : Detroit Marathon, was anybody else there? | Views : 1886 | Replies : 3

Mountainfilm showing in Chicago

Mountainfilm is showing a film in Chicago this Friday. Ed Viesturs & Jim Whittaker will be there in person.

Friday, October 16, 2009
6:30pm - 10:00pm
AMC Pipers Alley Theatre
1608 N Wells, Chicago, IL

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=151591898204

Hope to see you there...
Read more : Mountainfilm showing in Chicago | Views : 3422 | Replies : 7

Airports for SD, ND?

Stoopid question, I know but what airports are best for SD and ND? Preferably United/Southwest/Continental fly to.
Read more : Airports for SD, ND? | Views : 2772 | Replies : 12

Sandstone Ice Festival

Anybody ever go? I'm excited about my first full season of ice climbing and this festival seems to be a good kick off offering courses and the ability to test drive some gear. Planning on going to Munising but Sandstone is nearly 2 months earlier.
Read more : Sandstone Ice Festival | Views : 9728 | Replies : 17

Devil's Lake and Apex Adventure

I'll be at DL September 25-27 with my scout troop. We're using Apex Adventure guides. Anybody here work for Apex or know someone who does?

Any of you guys going to be climbing that weekend? If so, hopefully we'll cross paths.
Read more : Devil's Lake and Apex Adventure | Views : 3227 | Replies : 4

Midwest Lowpoints

In response to the Midwest "highpoints" thread and allegations that I hate the Midwest :wink: , I have started this thread. Yes, we have highpoints, but far too many (and in my book, one would be too many) are dull and unimpressive. Heck, the Illinois highpoint was made by Native Americans! What do we have, you ask? Well, we do have Devil's Lake, home to some undeniably ...
Read more : Midwest Lowpoints | Views : 11607 | Replies : 18

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558000 • Total topics 55842 • Total members 136526