It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:25 am

News News of Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Site map of Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes) » Forum : Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.

Minneapolis SPer Lunch on Wed Sept 19 at 11:30 am!!!

I am thinking of organizing a lunch or get together for the Summit Posters based out of Minneapolis.

An informal, low key affair where people can make new acquaintances and share climbing stories?

Perhaps in early September? Maybe a cookout at a park or a lunch at a restaurant.

Please let me know if you are interested. Thank you.
Read more : Minneapolis SPer Lunch on Wed Sept 19 at 11:30 am!!! | Views : 24367 | Replies : 18

Summer Plans?

Who is lucky enough to escape the Midwest for the mountains this summer? I am lucky enough to be traveling to Colorado in late July with hopes of 1 walk up 14er and Father Dyer to Mt. Helen traverse. Not the most ambitious plans but it is a family trip so 1 morning to get away by myself and one morning of the kids hanging out with grandma and grandpa is probably as much as ...
Read more : Summer Plans? | Views : 40235 | Replies : 35

Help I am stuck in Detroit and I can't get out Help I am stuck in Detroit and I can't get out

I've got dreams and they don't include forums but rather snow, trees and a fresh coffee from my stove.
What am I supposed to do here?

Folks native or long-time in the area help a new Michigan-er out. I need to get out of the house and could use some first hand local knowledge!
Read more : Help I am stuck in Detroit and I can't get out | Views : 9890 | Replies : 4

Annual CMC Dinner

The Chicago Mountaineering Club (CMC) is holding its annual dinner on Saturday March 3rd at the Oak Brook Double Tree, 1909 Spring Road, Oak Brook, IL 60523. Mark Wilford is the guest speaker this year.

More info...

Hope you can join us!
Read more : Annual CMC Dinner | Views : 9798 | Replies : 3

Rock climbing in January?

How about this weather?! It was 50 degrees in Baraboo yesterday. Did anyone get in some rock climbing at Devil's Lake? :)
Read more : Rock climbing in January? | Views : 8555 | Replies : 1

Any excitement for any of us midwesterners?

Hey all,

Was wondering if anybody in the good ol' midwest had a great summer on the rock? any great climbs you accomplished this year. Anybody preparing, ie getting in shape, for and endeavors for next year? Or this winter?

I led my first 5.10 at Barn Bluff this year, and got a lot of outdoor climbing in. I know 5.10 isnt a grade to be in awe of but Im happy to see my ...
Read more : Any excitement for any of us midwesterners? | Views : 9234 | Replies : 2

Porkies oct 22-23

Well I lucked out and found the little carp cabin was available oct 22 so I booked it. Any recommendations on the best trail in? I know the pinkerton is the shortest but is it worth the extra miles to take the LST? I am really excited about this trip. Hope the weather cooperates!
Read more : Porkies oct 22-23 | Views : 8349 | Replies : 1

The most beautiful spot in the country is in Michigan

According to the people at Good Morning America, at least:

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... eshore8619

SP has an excellent page for the park, maintained by the inimitable dwhike:

http://www.summitpost.org/sleeping-bear ... ore/298231

It's never been featured on the front page, elves. Hint, hint.
Read more : The most beautiful spot in the country is in Michigan | Views : 15017 | Replies : 11

Devil's Lake Centennial

Devils Lake State Park is celebrating it's 100th anniversary this year! As a part of the Centennial festivities, the Chicago Mountaineering Club along with the park management, is putting on a presentation entitled, "History Of Climbing at Devils Lake" at 7:30pm on August 5th. Club members will present the history of rock climbing at the lake from the early days in the late twenties with the first routes put up by the Stetners, up through ...
Read more : Devil's Lake Centennial | Views : 8085 | Replies : 0

Black Hills - Snow in May?

Hey all, hoping you can help me out. Planning to do some backpacking out in the Black Hills the first couple weeks of May, in particular the Black Elk Wilderness. Wondering what snow/trail conditions are like that time of year. I've heard that the Black Hills can see some freak spring storms but what's the norm? Has this been a drier/wetter winter? Any beta would help...I really hope to leave the snowshoes at home... ...
Read more : Black Hills - Snow in May? | Views : 9319 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136425