It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 pm

News News of Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Site map of Mountain Medicine & Rescue » Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.

HELP! altitude sickness (ams) and malaria meds

i'm headed to climb kilimanjaro in about a month. though the mt itself isn't a major concern for malaria, i'll be spending plenty of time exploring in more risky areas. my question is: what malaria prophylaxis is the best, or has anyone used. i've noticed that many of the side effects of some of the meds are the same as altitude sickness and, i it's possible, i'd sure like to be able to distinguish if ...
Read more : HELP! altitude sickness (ams) and malaria meds | Views : 4168 | Replies : 3

Medicine For a First Aid Kit

I went through my First Aid Kits lastnight and got rid of the stuff that expired. I was wondering where the best place to replenish my supplies. Also anyone know where to get a suture kit?
Read more : Medicine For a First Aid Kit | Views : 13620 | Replies : 32

Radial Head Fracture & recovery

About 6 weeks ago I sustained a non-displaced fracture of the radial head, in other words a broken elbow. The doc said in cases like mine they don't splint or cast it so that the joint doesn't get stiff.

X-rays a couple of weeks ago shows the facture healing, and I seem to have most of the ROM back, though it's still kind of sore sometimes. Flexion seems good, but I think it's missing a ...
Read more : Radial Head Fracture & recovery | Views : 41410 | Replies : 19

Soleus contraction

It's been from more than two weeks ago. I have sóleos contraction, even the left one hurts sometimes. The right is better, it's not a problem. It was produced after having riding in my mountain bike for near 40 Km. I've taken it two time after that so sóleos haven't recovered. I'm not taking a muscular laxative because they make me to sleep less hours and when I get up I'm very sleepy. Yesterday I ...
Read more : Soleus contraction | Views : 9087 | Replies : 24

Toe nail surgery - how long does recovery take?

I have been taken off a stripe of my right foot's big toe nail this Monday. The nail was growing into the flesh and causing pain and infection before. :cry:

Guess this is a common thing for foot-active people, at least my doctor said that. :wink:

Now it's Thursday evening and once I place my foot ...
Read more : Toe nail surgery - how long does recovery take? | Views : 425846 | Replies : 15

WFA, WFR, WEMT certs

I'd be interested to know how many people have active WFA, WFR or WEMT certs, who are not working as guides but obtained them just to be more able to handle potential incidents involving their climbing partners or themeselves.

Of those that have them, have you ever had to put into practice, on the mountain, the skills you learned. Of those that don't, were you ever in a situation where you lacked the training or ...
Read more : WFA, WFR, WEMT certs | Views : 15024 | Replies : 40

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557949 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136408