It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:13 pm

News News of Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Site map of Mountain Medicine & Rescue » Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.

Rescues

Rescues should be a liability of the individual(s) needing rescue, managed no different than how a particular jurisdiction collects on a speeding ticket, through the courts via a fine. Anyone who could get lost on a particular route should not be climbing it to begin with in my opinion, but that's impossible to police nor do I believe government has the competence to do so. Darwin's Law is the best selection management tool for such ...
Read more : Rescues | Views : 42130 | Replies : 90

O2 not req'd...

Super-oxygenating injection drug. Hmmm..

Not so pie-in-the-sky technology: could conceivably be a life-saver or at least a time-buyer for avy victims (if they could reach a port to inject themselves) and victims of AMS

http://gizmodo.com/5921868/scientists-i ... -breathing
Read more : O2 not req'd... | Views : 8283 | Replies : 7

Heart Problems Caused by Extreme Endurance Exercise?

I've run across several mentions of a new study in articles and on tv. Here's one article: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/03/3640410/extreme-exercise-may-carry-cardiac.html

I'm familiar with the concept of not bothering with exercise sessions beyond about an hour unless you are trying to improve at endurance sports that require more time than that, but I hadn't previously heard specific mention of heart problems possibly caused by regularly going well beyond that. I recall one article mentioning risks increasing when approaching ...
Read more : Heart Problems Caused by Extreme Endurance Exercise? | Views : 10850 | Replies : 12

CMC Rope Rescue class, Bend, Or.

Just finished day 2, spent the entire day on the Bend Fire Department training tower. Yep, I'm a little tired right now. I did get to take a little break during the day though.......
Read more : CMC Rope Rescue class, Bend, Or. | Views : 6641 | Replies : 1

10 Years Ago Today.

Read more : 10 Years Ago Today. | Views : 6032 | Replies : 4

Medical Kits

Everyone should have at least some sort of first aid kit when out in the backcountry. Since I'm a bit of a medical geek, I tend to carry a wee bit more than others. I personally have 3 kits, a day hike/solo backcountry kit, a multi-day/SAR kit, then my full on jump kit that goes in the car everywhere. Since opinions vary on what a good first aid kit contains, I believe in either building ...
Read more : Medical Kits | Views : 19207 | Replies : 26

Level of Training?

Curious to know here how many people have any wilderness/backcountry medical training. I started training with my local EMS in Alaska when I was in high school, then did a 16 hour first aid/cpr course in college. After about 18 years of no further training or refresher, I did WFA in February last year, WFR in June, then finally W-EMT this January-February. A big motive for training was after I quit smoking about 2 years ...
Read more : Level of Training? | Views : 12649 | Replies : 16

Interesting documentary on Hypoxia/AMS

I'll admit, I'm a wilderness/mountain medicine geek. I've only taken 300 hours of backcountry medicine training in the last year or so :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuCnV0unzpA&feature=related
Read more : Interesting documentary on Hypoxia/AMS | Views : 5743 | Replies : 2

knee question

My both knees lately feel like I've been hiking for a long time when actually I'm well rested. Aggravated by humid climates, but cannot swear that it's true. What is it?
Read more : knee question | Views : 8703 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557949 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136410