It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:03 pm

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

pahsimeroi and borah access during winter

whats the best access to the pahsimeroi valley for winter months? is double spring pass road from hwy 93 the only way? i wanted to do some snowshoeing into the valley next month but dont have enough time for a long approach. we will be renting a small economy car. so my main question is with my car how are the road conditions on double spring for february? i definitely dont wanna get stuck in ...
Read more : pahsimeroi and borah access during winter | Views : 2049 | Replies : 2

Snow condtions in the Silver Island Mountans by Wendover UT

Does anyone know how deep the snow is out on the Silver Island Mtns? Or, if you don't, how can I find out?
Read more : Snow condtions in the Silver Island Mountans by Wendover UT | Views : 1160 | Replies : 0

Absaroka Mountains: where do they end?

Looking at the wilderness areas in the greater Yellowstone area, I was perplexed as to where exactly the Absaroka mountains terminate. In Wyoming there is the North Absaroka Wilderness, but across the stateline is the Beartooth-Absaroka Wilderness. Presumably some of the Absarokas are in this area as well. What is the boundary/transition point between the two ranges? Is it fair to say that the Absarokas are also the large group of mountanis west of the ...
Read more : Absaroka Mountains: where do they end? | Views : 5530 | Replies : 18

ILLEGAL FEES COMING TO WYOMING

The ongoing, and spreading, fee scam has made its way into the last stronghold of the less government concept, Wyoming.

According to the WESTERN SLOPE NO FEE COALITION:

The Bighorn N F is planning to start charging a $10/day parking fee at the main trailhead into the Cloud Peak Wilderness (Cloud Peak, Darton Peak) in the Bighorn Range in Wyoming. When I challenged them because parking fees are illegal, they pulled the original notice from ...
Read more : ILLEGAL FEES COMING TO WYOMING | Views : 2770 | Replies : 8

SP PAGES AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION

Hello everyone:

We have some pages currently available for adoption. You can see them HERE.

After some discussion, the member has assured me his departure is needed, so his pages need new owners. Some photos may be left behind. Use whatever is present to your desires.

PM me directly concerning this matter. I'll see to the transfer(s) as quickly as possible.

Thanks!
Read more : SP PAGES AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION | Views : 1391 | Replies : 2

Giant Cairns

Kind of a silly topic, but I was thinking about the giant cairn at the top of the Phantom Creek trail on the way to FTD. If you know the one I'm talking about, is there a bigger one on any other trail in Montana?
Read more : Giant Cairns | Views : 4593 | Replies : 17

Glacier National Park Routes: Browns Pass to Fifty Mountain

Has anyone completed the Browns Pass to Fifty Mountain Camp via Jefferson Pass?

I am looking for route recommendations and conditions. I have heard that the goat trail is difficult to find.
Read more : Glacier National Park Routes: Browns Pass to Fifty Mountain | Views : 1739 | Replies : 0

Jackson Hole Winter Hikes

Hello Everyone-

I'm going to be out in Jackson Hole for a ski trip this winter, but was hoping to maybe do a bit of day hiking. Nothing too intense. Either snowshoe or Cross Country skiis. I really am looking for spots to do some nice mountain photography. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks a lot!

-P
Read more : Jackson Hole Winter Hikes | Views : 2303 | Replies : 1

Targhee Ice Park?

DRIGGS, Idaho (AP) — A mountain guide is hoping to build an ice climbing park on the Grand Targhee cliffs this winter.

Christian Santelices is the owner of Aerial Boundaries and the chief guide for Exum mountain Guides. He's installing showerheads and tubing along the Parking Lot Cliffs at Grand Targhee in an effort of creating lots of ice for the new Teton Ice Park.

The Teton Valley News reports the park is scheduled to ...
Read more : Targhee Ice Park? | Views : 1990 | Replies : 1

Bozeman, MT - winter summits

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any non-technical mountains in the Bozeman area that would be good to climb in the winter. I'm not concerned about long or strenuous outings, but am hoping to find some relatively safe climbs that don't require much for gear other than winter clothing and snowshoes. I'm also relatively inexperienced with avalanche conditions so would like to avoid areas where I need to be extra cautious until I can ...
Read more : Bozeman, MT - winter summits | Views : 3690 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136501