It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:32 am

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Signal Peak (UT)

I'll be in the St. George, UT area this weekend looking to visit Signal Peak. I understand the Pine Valley approach is preferable during winter and that avalanche danger is minimal. Any info or advice regarding winter route/conditions would be appreciated. Possible to hit Burger Peak along the way? I hear there is some bristlecone pine in the area... :)
Read more : Signal Peak (UT) | Views : 3036 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Utah

New Map of all the Washington Lookouts (91 total)

SP member StephAbegg (if you live in the northwest, you have probably heard her name by now) has just completed an awesome new map showing the location of all the remaining fire lookouts in Washington State. You can find it at the top of the Washington Lookouts page (http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=564151). As far as I know, this is the first image of it's kind. It's obvious that she has put a lot of hard work into it. ...
Read more : New Map of all the Washington Lookouts (91 total) | Views : 2781 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

NEED HARDSHELL TOP AND BOTTOMS! ANY SELLERS?

Hi.

I have already posted:

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=50398&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

and all your advice was very helpful. However, I still need some!

I realized that you guys might be able to sell me some.

Looking for something along the lines of:

arcteryx alpha sv
mammut fitz roy
north face mammatus
mountain hardwear berrylium
rab latok

You get the picture.

If there is someone in england that would be great as it avoids shipping etc.

I am usually size medium, ...
Read more : NEED HARDSHELL TOP AND BOTTOMS! ANY SELLERS? | Views : 1184 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Gear

Mt. Marcy "best" Winter Route

Hello all, I'm planning an overnight trip up Mt. Marcy (NY's highpoint) in Mid Feb. with a small group. I've summited Marcy a few time, but never in the winter season on snowshoes. I've only summited Via the trail from Marcy dam. I've also hiked along Elk lake and wanted to summit from there someday.

So my question is......Summit from Elk Lake or From ADK. lodge in winter? Which is better and can I cut ...
Read more : Mt. Marcy "best" Winter Route | Views : 9946 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Three mountaineers found dead in Huesca and another missing

We are talking about the tragedy in the Spanish Team thread but the news in English is here :cry:

The Pyrenean mountain where they were AT skiing: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... arada.html
Read more : Three mountaineers found dead in Huesca and another missing | Views : 4054 | Replies : 3 | Forum : News

Alternatives to Vibram Boot Soles?

This must have come up here before, but I am hopeless with the search function. :oops: :oops:

I have just three pairs of Scarpa Manta boots for all my walking. They give fabulous support and when worn in become incredibly comfortable.

But they only seem to come with Vibram Soles. Great on dry rocks, and on ice when wearing ...
Read more : Alternatives to Vibram Boot Soles? | Views : 24120 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Gear

Titanium Ice Screws

Whats the deal with those in-expensive Russian ice screws? Are they rated to hold any substantial force? I personally don't trust em, the teeth are probably less than 1mm deep. What is there primary purpose?
Read more : Titanium Ice Screws | Views : 16685 | Replies : 14 | Forum : Gear

Women specific forum?

I was wondering if the time was ripe now for a women only message board in the forum, where women could discuss their gender specific issues in climbing without men chiming in and the thread moving into PnP faster than I could finish this sentence? Occasional columns by Majka Burhardt are not enough, plus not all of us are Majkas...
Read more : Women specific forum? | Views : 6281 | Replies : 43 | Forum : Site Feedback

Falling

One thing it sems no climber can agree on are the ethics of falling. Did you climb the route if you fell? Did you climb the route if you took tension? Is it aid to fall/hang?

I am not in any way a purist, and I'm always pushing my grade by falling over and over. In my mind, as long as tension did not raise me above my previous level (hang, jump, slack gets taken ...
Read more : Falling | Views : 10373 | Replies : 51 | Forum : Ethics, Spray, and Slander

FS: Brand New Black Diamond Ozone Harness (Medium)

Selling a brand new Black Diamond Ozone Harness in a size medium. It's still in its original packaging and never been opened. Letting it go for $75 shipped. Let me know if you're interested.
Read more : FS: Brand New Black Diamond Ozone Harness (Medium) | Views : 927 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Gear

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136499