It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 5:59 pm

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Falling

One thing it sems no climber can agree on are the ethics of falling. Did you climb the route if you fell? Did you climb the route if you took tension? Is it aid to fall/hang?

I am not in any way a purist, and I'm always pushing my grade by falling over and over. In my mind, as long as tension did not raise me above my previous level (hang, jump, slack gets taken ...
Read more : Falling | Views : 10447 | Replies : 51 | Forum : Ethics, Spray, and Slander

FS: Brand New Black Diamond Ozone Harness (Medium)

Selling a brand new Black Diamond Ozone Harness in a size medium. It's still in its original packaging and never been opened. Letting it go for $75 shipped. Let me know if you're interested.
Read more : FS: Brand New Black Diamond Ozone Harness (Medium) | Views : 936 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Gear

Tokopah Ice?

Anyone been back by Tokopah Falls to see if the ice is in? And if so, how's it forming? Inquiring and inspiring WI4/5 climbers wanna know! :D
Read more : Tokopah Ice? | Views : 2612 | Replies : 12 | Forum : California

Is This An Acceptable Top Rope Anchor?

Right - straight to it.

I have an opportunity to take a cute girl ice climbing for her first time.

Problem: As I don't have access to my gear in any reasonable amount of time I can only build my anchor out of what I have in my car's boot. Which means I have one 100 foot long piece of webbing, three quick draws, six biners and five locking biners.

The only place I have ...
Read more : Is This An Acceptable Top Rope Anchor? | Views : 9095 | Replies : 18 | Forum : General

Snowdonia Snow Report

Wonder if any of our Sp'ers have been to Snowdonia in the last couple of days, and can give a personal update on the snow situation?

I do follow a couple of web pages, but neither give the sort of detail I need.

I ask as I am planning to go back early in February and part of my "safety first" approach as a solo walker in the mountains is to keep monitoring weather etc ...
Read more : Snowdonia Snow Report | Views : 11099 | Replies : 79 | Forum : Europe

WTB : Women's Mountaineering Boot, Crampons, Gaiters

Anybody selling women's mountaineering boots(38 or 38.5)? Nepal Evo or similar type or a double boot. I'm also looking for black diamond sabertooth crampons and OR/MH expedition style gaiters. Thanks,
Read more : WTB : Women's Mountaineering Boot, Crampons, Gaiters | Views : 1526 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Gear

page moved to wrong forum

Dismal fog holding pattern got moved to the east coast forum. should be moved to California's

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51155
Read more : page moved to wrong forum | Views : 14417 | Replies : 12 | Forum : Bad Submissions

Recent Longs Conditions - Trough from Glacier G or Keyhole?

Has anyone been up in the Glacier Gorge cirque (above Black Lake, underneath Spearhead) in last week or so? Last year during the freak January warm I was able to ascend Longs via Trough from here. Of course, snow was very minimal at that time, and quite firm. I am looking at Friday/weekend coming up and am curious if it is OK. Or maybe Keyhole. Really wish I were there today, as the weather looks ...
Read more : Recent Longs Conditions - Trough from Glacier G or Keyhole? | Views : 802 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Colorado

Self Belay options

I have built my own climbing wall in a barn, and it's tall enough (22') I need (want) to rope up for most of the routes, despite significant crash padding below. I have worked up a self-belay system for when I'm alone, based on much research. But, I thought I'd run it by this group to see if there is anything I missed.

The rope is a gym rope (Sterling Jungle Gym - 10.4?) ...
Read more : Self Belay options | Views : 2887 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Gear

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558018 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136584