It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 8:40 am

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Feb 5th options

Hi All,

I'm flying into Colorado Springs on 2/5 for the weekend. My initial plan is to hike up Pikes Peak on the Saturday. Depending on road conditions, what are some other options nearby? I am flying back on Sunday so even if it's a long day I'm up for it.

I was thinking Mt. Massive or Mt. Elbert but I don't know how the roads fair during winter.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
Jon
Read more : Feb 5th options | Views : 1189 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Colorado

Red Rocks

David and I will spend the next ten days at Red Rocks, starting tomorrow.....because he is such a cheap date, we will be belly up to the bar at Agave, 10820 Charleston Blvd, for .25c tacos and $1 beers most nights. If Radek or others in town, stop on by! Cheers
Read more : Red Rocks | Views : 1817 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Losing fingers or toes to frostbite...

I was browsing some Alpinist content on their site and saw this photo;

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/ALP27

Which in turn lead me to wonder;

What is the recovery process when you find yourself in the unfortunate position of losing fingers or toes to frost bite?

How does it affect your climbing, might one have balance issues or require extensive physical therapy?

edit: typos
Read more : Losing fingers or toes to frostbite... | Views : 18965 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

AAC Book Club Tuesday Jan 12 - Mark Obmascik

Please join us on Tuesday Jan 12 at 6:00 pm at the American Mountaineering Center in Golden to discuss Mark Obmascik's book "Halfway to Heaven: My White-knuckled--and Knuckleheaded--Quest for the Rocky Mountain High". Mark will attend the discussion and this will be a great opportunity to talk with him about the book and his experience climbing the fourteeners. Informal gathering -- usually in room upstairs; staff in library (which is a GREAT resource, if you ...
Read more : AAC Book Club Tuesday Jan 12 - Mark Obmascik | Views : 1067 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Colorado

Grinnell Point, Glacier National Park

would love to put up a page for Grinnell Point, which is a great half-day climb in Many Glacier, but have run into a bit of a problem. when i climbed it in July of '09, i had just trashed my camera on Altyn Peak. so, i was unable to take any route photos or summit views, and feel my page would suffer greatly without them. if anyone has any photos of climbing Grinnell Point, ...
Read more : Grinnell Point, Glacier National Park | Views : 2439 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

pahsimeroi and borah access during winter

whats the best access to the pahsimeroi valley for winter months? is double spring pass road from hwy 93 the only way? i wanted to do some snowshoeing into the valley next month but dont have enough time for a long approach. we will be renting a small economy car. so my main question is with my car how are the road conditions on double spring for february? i definitely dont wanna get stuck in ...
Read more : pahsimeroi and borah access during winter | Views : 2057 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

First Ascent......

Hey guys, been awhile since I've been on, hope the holidays were good to you all. Just wondered if anyone has any of the new First Ascent stuff from Eddie Bauer? Got the downlight sweater as a Christmas gift and have gotten some good use out of it around town at least with the frigid temps here in KS as of late. Spent a good deal of time outside in it and very impressed so ...
Read more : First Ascent...... | Views : 1886 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Gear

Denver SP Social

I’ve been in Denver for over 5 years, and since then I’ve been wanting to meet the people on Summitpost, here in our beautiful state . Wednesday, January 20th 2010, my wife and I would like to have a Summitpost get-together at our house. Also, on Monday, January 25th , for those who can’t make it, that would like to do this on another day. I have come across something that is very exciting that ...
Read more : Denver SP Social | Views : 4574 | Replies : 25 | Forum : Colorado

Best new techno gear over the last 10 years?

So as we enter the 2010s, what’s the best new techno gear/innovation over the last 10 years?

Of all the new techno gear that’s emerged over the last 10 years (GPS, approach shoes, LED headlamps, SPOT,….), I’m inclined to vote for on-line databases like SP, SuperTopo, Mountain Project, etc.

These on-line databases have provided me superb mountain and climbing beta that only comes from years of local experience and enabled me to tackle mountains/routes that ...
Read more : Best new techno gear over the last 10 years? | Views : 3151 | Replies : 11 | Forum : Gear

Charleston conditions in mid-January

Does anyone know how Charleston is looking these days?

is there a Web site that posts daily reports?

A Web cam?

Thanks in advance.
Read more : Charleston conditions in mid-January | Views : 3053 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558014 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136574