It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:02 am

News News of Regional Boards - North America

Site map of Regional Boards - North America » Forum : Regional Boards - North America

San Gabriel Mountains - Fire Season

Well the San Gabs are ablaze once again. Looks like the Azusa Canyon area with smoke very visible from Downtown Los Angeles.
Read more : San Gabriel Mountains - Fire Season | Views : 18146 | Replies : 94 | Forum : California

What's New in the NorthWest

Other regional fora have a What's New thread, but I couldn't find one for the Pacific Northwest. So I decided to start one.

I'll go first:

At long last, my trip report is complete.
Read more : What's New in the NorthWest | Views : 5655 | Replies : 16 | Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Midwest highpoints

Which ones are the coolest and worst
Read more : Midwest highpoints | Views : 7344 | Replies : 13 | Forum : Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Wolverine sighting in GNP

Sorry for not knowing how to attach a photo here, but my most recently added photo on my profile is the Wolverine some of you had asked about seeing a photo of. Also the quality is bad but at least you can see that it clearly was a wolverine.
Read more : Wolverine sighting in GNP | Views : 5108 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Adirondacks / water approach

When approaching a mountain in the Adirondacks on water, what SPers would advise to do with the canoe / kayak once the water part is finished and we hit the trail? We would still have about 1 mile / + 700' to hike before reaching the summit cliff...
Read more : Adirondacks / water approach | Views : 3440 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Mt. Mendel Ice

For those interested, went to Mendel this last weekend with hopes of climbing the Left Mendel Couloir (Ice Nine) or Right. Unfortunately, even with our late snow falls this year, the climbs are already pretty dry. As a disclaimer, this is as close as we got (the bottom of the valley.. we had approached an unusual way via Alpine Col from Wahoo Lakes near Piute Pass), as my climbing partner was feeling pretty sick, but ...
Read more : Mt. Mendel Ice | Views : 7290 | Replies : 28 | Forum : California

A High Sierra Trail itinerary

There is surprisingly little written up on SP about trans-Sierra traverse via the High Sierra Trail. This is something I have wanted to do for decades (I did about a third of it in 1976), and I am working on an itinerary maybe for next summer.

Would anyone care to comment on the following proposal?

Day 1
Crescent Meadow to Log Meadow : 0.6
Log Meadow to Panther Creek : 2.1
Panther Creek to ...
Read more : A High Sierra Trail itinerary | Views : 15700 | Replies : 19 | Forum : California

Lone Peak

I was going to post a thread about hiking Lone Peak tomorrow, the 15th, and invite anyone to join me, but with the way the weather is looking, I don't know if the hike is going to happen. I wanted to get a few people so as to hike up Jacob's Ladder and then come down the Cherry Canyon trail. (I HATE going DOWN Jacob's) I thought of getting up really early, like being at ...
Read more : Lone Peak | Views : 2972 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Utah

katahdin question

does anyone know if its true that one must arrive by 7am to gain entrance into Baxter State Park to hike Katahdin? I've seen this on a couple websites, just looking to verify ...
Read more : katahdin question | Views : 5307 | Replies : 10 | Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Katahdin hike in early October

Haven't hiked in years, but by October 6th we'll be heading up Mt. Katahdin in Maine. Trying to determine which trails to take (we're intermediate level at best) but love Katahdin.

Looking for trails -
weather to be prepared for
time frame of hike, etc.

Any help would be great!

Cheers,
jimmy
Read more : Katahdin hike in early October | Views : 12715 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558021 • Total topics 55844 • Total members 136595