It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:08 pm

News News of Regional Boards - North America

Site map of Regional Boards - North America » Forum : Regional Boards - North America

Trailhead for Mount Thorodin Trail??

hi

I am thinking about hiking up to Starr Peak/Mount Thorodin via the Mount Thorodin Trail (North Ridge)- but I have kind of a hard time pinpointing the trailhead - do I drive down Camp Eden Road until its end or do I take South Beaver Creek Rd/Wedgwood Rd ?

Don;t want to get "lost" in these wooden exurbs....
Read more : Trailhead for Mount Thorodin Trail?? | Views : 10110 | Replies : 14 | Forum : Colorado

Bristlecone Forest Visitor Center Burned

Although there was an allusion to this in the "North Palisade Trailhead Car Safety" thread, I hadn't had a chance to research it further until tonight, and I am quite saddened as a result.

http://www.inyoregister.com/content/view/115529/1/

"By Mike Bodine
Register Staff
9-6-2008

Fire has destroyed the visitor center in the Bristlecone pine forest, sending sadness and shockwaves throughout the Owens Valley and beyond.
Calls first came into Big Pine and ...
Read more : Bristlecone Forest Visitor Center Burned | Views : 16515 | Replies : 52 | Forum : California

Bouldering in Central MD

Anyone know any good Bouldering areas in central Maryland? Most of the areas I have been to locally only have a couple problems and have not been climbed on recently either. I'm also looking for a local guide book for the area (MD,DC,PA,VA), since "Climb Maryland!" has been out of print and too expensive for a used copy.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Read more : Bouldering in Central MD | Views : 8646 | Replies : 24 | Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Dispersed Campsites in El Dorado National Forest in CA

Are there any dispersed campsites near Packsaddle Pass forest road near highway 50 in California? The forest road is south of highway 50. The forest road is near Cody Lake. I thought I may have saw some areas on Google Earth where you can turn out to camp. Could someone correct me if I am right or not? I may have saw a few more possible campsites near Cody Meadow forest road also. Packsaddle Pass ...
Read more : Dispersed Campsites in El Dorado National Forest in CA | Views : 14336 | Replies : 4 | Forum : California

Muro Blanco in SEKI.. Arrow Peak area...Info needed Please?

Have any of you here hiked the Muro Blanco in SEKI which follows the South fork of the Kings river to Woods Creek?
It has been on my to do places for many years..so have been researching all I can...But was curious to see if anyone here has actually done it or part of it.
Any info would be appreciated :)
Thanks everyone!
Read more : Muro Blanco in SEKI.. Arrow Peak area...Info needed Please? | Views : 5922 | Replies : 13 | Forum : California

Skeeters in the Sierra 2009*

It's about that time. With the recent heat, and possible cold coming through, how are the skeeter populations shaping up around the Eastern side so far this season?

Any horrible areas yet? I was thinking of taking the kids up to the Stone House in the Tuttle drainage for a day hike/picnic next weekend, but don't want to be slathered in DEET (kinda ruins the taste of food)
Read more : Skeeters in the Sierra 2009* | Views : 34855 | Replies : 161 | Forum : California

Tahquitz Rockfall (4/13/08)

Yesterday afternoon my friends and I witnessed a serious rockfall incident at Tahquitz. Two microwave sized blocks and some smaller debris came down from somewhere high above, at or near the top of the face, falling through the area where the route “Fingertrip” ascends. We were on the ground at the toe of the rock just to the right from there and watched as these huge blocks took a lucky bounce sending them just over ...
Read more : Tahquitz Rockfall (4/13/08) | Views : 6452 | Replies : 23 | Forum : California

Peaks close to Juneau, AK

I'll be in Juneau in late May and will have from 7 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. to leave the cruise ship and hike. Can anyone suggest a couple of nice peaks fairly close that I could bag in that time frame, assuming the weather is halfway cooperative? I can hike at a fairly aggressive pace and have done 7000 vertical in a day several times. You can email me at michaelthannan@gmail.com ...
Read more : Peaks close to Juneau, AK | Views : 3823 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Canada and Alaska

Poole Power Plant Road Plowed?

Does anyone know if this road to Lee Vining Canyon was plowed yet?
Is there a way to find out?
Read more : Poole Power Plant Road Plowed? | Views : 3008 | Replies : 8 | Forum : California

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136501