It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:09 am

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Huaraz/Peru gear logistics for cook and guide

In your experience, how long does it take to acquire all the gear for a local cook, and local AGMP guide, for say an 8 day ishinca valley stay?
We're considering the tradeoff between cost and minimal effort of a guided package, and cultural experience and effort spent organizing everything ourselves.
Is organizing an easy 1-day endeavor, or stressful, or ...?
FYI we have 3 days in Hauraz after arriving, before starting our acclimatization and ...
Read more : Huaraz/Peru gear logistics for cook and guide | Views : 6711 | Replies : 8

Aconcagua Unassisted. Stupid?

Greetings SummitPost brothers and sisters,
I'm hoping to solicit an opinion from you fine folks regarding my plan for Aconcagua. I'll try to be brief.

I have some climbing experience, some hiking experience, and some decent outdoorsy experience. That said, I've probably never been above 4000m so Aconcagua would be my first big mountain.

Ideally, I'd like to try the mountain in the first week of January. This gives me 300 days to train and ...
Read more : Aconcagua Unassisted. Stupid? | Views : 4380 | Replies : 2

What's New in South America

Read more : What's New in South America | Views : 4048 | Replies : 1

Bolivian guide services

I'm looking for guide service recommendations for Bolivia. I've heard http://www.bolivianmountainguides.com<http://www.bolivianmountainguides.com> is ok, and also came across http://www.bolivianmountains.com<http://www.bolivianmountains.com>, anyone have experience with either of these?

For what it's worth, I think our team would be plenty competent without a guide, but we still would like a cook, donkeys, transportation, logistics, etc., so adding a guide is probably not much different at that point.
Read more : Bolivian guide services | Views : 3801 | Replies : 3

Ecuador Volcanoes vs. Peru

I am currently debating on which guided climb to pursue this summer. I have a lot of experience with winter camping and long hiking trips. I have summited both Mt. Shuksan and Mt. Baker and have completed a week-long glacier mountaineering course. Currently, I train 5-6 days a week. The plan is to head to South America to get some experience with altitude- I have not been above 12K feet. The question is, would the ...
Read more : Ecuador Volcanoes vs. Peru | Views : 11363 | Replies : 21

How technical is Illimani?

I am probably heading down to Bolivia this June and plan to do some peaks when I am there visiting my sister-in-law who lives in La Paz. She is a relative newbie by mountaineering standards (climbed Huayna Potosi and that is about it to my knowledge), however I have climbed pretty extensively in CA and completed technical routes on a number of 13k-14k peaks. I am competent leading rock, ice, and spending days on the ...
Read more : How technical is Illimani? | Views : 10421 | Replies : 6

Aconcagua Tour operator

Hi,

Can anyone advice me about a Aconcagua tour company called "Aconcagua Adventures".

Spoke with their rep. They sound good and professional but couldn't find any review about them over the internet.

Has anyone climbed with them or know of someone who may have climbed with them.

I'm 100% done for attempting Aconcagua during the low season and need to decide which tour operator to go with.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Read more : Aconcagua Tour operator | Views : 4549 | Replies : 4

Aconcagua

Hi all,

I'm looking forward to doing Aconcagua this year via the normal route. The problem is that the only time I have on me is from Late March up to mid April.

I can't find any company so far that offers tours during this period.

Does anyone know a company that may offer a tour during this period.

Even if they do, is it recommended. How many people can I expect to find on ...
Read more : Aconcagua | Views : 5528 | Replies : 6

How reliable are porters/etc in Peru (Huaraz) ?

In reality, how easy or difficult is it for foreigners to organize all logistics locally after arriving in Huaraz? Any comparison to reliability / quality / cost compared to a guide agency? Obviously, guiding agencies say they are way more reliable, but that's a biased opinion:)

How reliable were the porters/cooks/etc that you've hired yourselves? Presumably you also had to rent gear for them.

This would be for heading to a popular camp like ishinca ...
Read more : How reliable are porters/etc in Peru (Huaraz) ? | Views : 4614 | Replies : 4

Aconcagua Adventures Aconcagua Adventures

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has used the company Aconcagua Adventures before http://aconcaguaadventures.com? I've read through their webpage; it is very detailed and the contact I've had via email seems to really know his stuff but
Im just curious if anyone has had any personal dealings with them to climb Aconcagua?

cheers

Brock
Read more : Aconcagua Adventures | Views : 3354 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136425