It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:22 pm

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Alpamayo

Has anyone been up this peak recently? The most current news I've heard - which isn't terribly current - was that the Ferrari (and possibly a couple of the nearby others) were in terrible shape and that hardly anyone was going up them. Like I said, this was a while ago. Anyone have more current info on what's been going on there and the conditions of the route/s on the peak?
Read more : Alpamayo | Views : 4273 | Replies : 10

Looking for information on climbing Aconcagua in Winter

I am looking for information on climbing Aconcagua in Winter.
1. What is the best time in Winter?
2. What is the weather like?
3. How much snow falls?
4. Sure there will be winter storms, but how frequent and long will the clear spells be?
5. How cold does it get?
6. Are the rivers frozen over?
7. Will the bridges be usable?
8. How bad is the avalanche danger?
9. Will the Berlin ...
Read more : Looking for information on climbing Aconcagua in Winter | Views : 9345 | Replies : 7

Climbing / Bouldering near Cochabamba Bolivia

I will be in Cochabamba for three months and was wondering whether or not I should take my climbing shoes; I have not yet found any good resources on crags, etc.. in the area. Any info would be helpful..take care!
-Mikey
Read more : Climbing / Bouldering near Cochabamba Bolivia | Views : 1323 | Replies : 0

Some about Aconcgua

I have seen the word "Calero" used for the high camp on the normal route. The correct name is Coléra, sometimes spelled Choléra (scary name :-) )

There may be new rules coming up for next year. A proposal from the government states that it wants to minimize the number of agencies in the park. Obviously it will only be five admitted into the park next season ...
Read more : Some about Aconcgua | Views : 1425 | Replies : 6

Peru, Cordillera Blanca, June 24-27

I'll be in the Huaraz area from approx. June 17-27 (leaving Lima on June 28 ). I'm traveling with two friends who are interested in trekking (we're heading first to Cusco/MP for about 8 or 9 days then to Huaraz) but not in climbing. So, they're leaving around June 24 and I will stay a bit longer to do some climbing. I have experience in rock climbing and ice climbing and very basic mountaineering, but ...
Read more : Peru, Cordillera Blanca, June 24-27 | Views : 2646 | Replies : 5

Peru - Trekking

:?: I am considering doing the Ausangate trek in Peru. Can anyone recommend a reliable trekking operator? There will only be two of us and we are planning on going in mid-late June. (I am concerned that whoever we make reservations with will cancel at the last moment due to a larger group taking precedence.) Any recommendations, tips, or alternative route ideas would be appreciated.
Read more : Peru - Trekking | Views : 4016 | Replies : 8

Aconcagua 2006 Expedition - Team Members Wanted

I'm organizing an expedition to Aconcagua scheduled for December 22, 2006 to January 14, 2007 and for a share of the costs you can become a team member. If you have moderate climbing experience and want more information I encourage you to visit my site at http://www.adventureclimbing.ca

Brad
Read more : Aconcagua 2006 Expedition - Team Members Wanted | Views : 2188 | Replies : 8

NO ONE HAS DIED on Ojos del Salado!

Basically a private message to those who may have heard the false rumours about the last day's incident on and around OdS.

Facts:
    The Argentinian climber who got HAPE or another similar condition is down and quite ok by now.
    The Basque and the Spaniard are still up there in the area close to Ojos. Unfortunenately they don't know what has happened to the Argentinian climber and that's why they have "disappeared". They are ...
Read more : NO ONE HAS DIED on Ojos del Salado! | Views : 3652 | Replies : 0

Aconcagua in February (the conditions?)

Hello!

It seems that the vast majority of the Aconcagua climbers attempt the mountain in December - January. I might not be able to travel to the area in that time of the year in 2007 so I would like to know if someone among the Summitpost readers has been on the mountain in February? What are the conditions like at that time of the year compared to January? Any radical differences in winds, temperatures ...
Read more : Aconcagua in February (the conditions?) | Views : 4473 | Replies : 5

bolivia - Ausungate circuit. June

Anyone in Bolivia during June and able to do the Ausungate circuit. About the second week in June. Takes about 5-6 days.
Read more : bolivia - Ausungate circuit. June | Views : 5933 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136499