It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:17 am

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Las Vegas Climb/Hike

Hi

Will be in Vegas for a few days in early March and was hoping to find a nice easy / moderate climb within an hour or so of the city. I am a moderate hiker/climber and would like something challenging but not to crazy. Prefer something that can be done in half a day. I was looking at red rock and thought that would be nice. Any thoughts / suggestions/ comments would be appreciated. ...
Read more : Las Vegas Climb/Hike | Views : 4521 | Replies : 4

Camelback Mountain AZ

The popular west-side "Echo Canyon" approach will be closed until late 2013. The trailhead and parking area will be rebuilt. More details:

http://phoenix.gov/parks/trails/locatio ... lpark.html

Some of the trail will apparently be rebuilt or re-routed, but I am not sure to what extent. I have been hiking this trail for 20 years now, and in places it has degraded badly. My hope is they keep the rougher nature of ...
Read more : Camelback Mountain AZ | Views : 6737 | Replies : 10

Guadalupe Peak vs Emory Peak

Hello! I'm a newbie on the forum.

In 2011, my buddy and I climbed Emory Peak. I thought the hike was strenuous, but we did it in a reasonable amount of time.

We are planning to climb Guadalupe Peak in early March.

In difficulty, how does Guadalupe Peak compare to Emory Peak?
Read more : Guadalupe Peak vs Emory Peak | Views : 10808 | Replies : 5

Rio Grande Del Norte National Conservation Area

After Sean Reedy posted this article, I did a little internet snooping. I found this map of the proposed area. I like that they have included the Wild Rivers area around the confluence of the Rio Grande and Red Rivers as well as the gorge well south of the bridge by Taos. The high peaks and the river canyons make for an interesting combination. I hope they would leave the trails and campgrounds around the ...
Read more : Rio Grande Del Norte National Conservation Area | Views : 3299 | Replies : 0

2012 Gila Wilderness Fire Severity

I found this map the other day. At first I thought the entire western half of the Gila was burned to a crisp, but this map makes it look like much of it was actually only lightly scorched. Has anyone been there lately? What does the area look like? It seems that maybe Whitewater Baldy might actually deserve its name now...
Read more : 2012 Gila Wilderness Fire Severity | Views : 3717 | Replies : 2

Canyoneering/Exploration President's Day Weekend

I'm looking for some interested people to explore a new technical canyon over Presidents Day Weekend. Just in case, it would be nice to have a rope gun with us. If interested, let me know.
Read more : Canyoneering/Exploration President's Day Weekend | Views : 2392 | Replies : 0

A few good pictures (NM edition)

I reckon most folks don't care about these posts, but I have fun sifting through images when I have down time. We all have our "places" and for me, aside from my home area of northern California, the southwest is mine. Beginning with my first trip to Philmont in 1992 and intensifying through numerous trips during my four year exile in Dallas, I came to love the southwest more than any other area. New Mexico ...
Read more : A few good pictures (NM edition) | Views : 6694 | Replies : 11

Wheeler Peak, NM Conditions

Anyone know the conditions on Wheeler Peak, NM right now? I was hoping to do a climb in about a week.
Read more : Wheeler Peak, NM Conditions | Views : 3932 | Replies : 1

A few good pictures (AZ edition)

I have been mulling a trip to the Southwest lately (when am I not?) and Arizona has been on my radar lately. I have been working out of my house a lot lately, which means I have had the opportunity to troll a bunch of the AZ pages here on Summitpost. There have been quite a few pictures I have found interesting but there were a few I thought should be shared, so as to ...
Read more : A few good pictures (AZ edition) | Views : 3872 | Replies : 3

Route recommendations for Red Rock Canyon (5.9 and under)

In Feb of this year, I went to Vegas to climb with a friend who was there with his wife, who was there on business. Neither of us had ever been to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, and we were not disappointed, despite the place being built up to be an amazing mecca (to be clear, it is both a mecca and amazing). We had such a great time that we're going back again ...
Read more : Route recommendations for Red Rock Canyon (5.9 and under) | Views : 3191 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557992 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136507