It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 pm

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Humphery's Peak

I'm looking to hike Humphery's Peak the first weekend in June via Humpherys Trail. I was wondering if anyone has been up there recently and how the snow conditions are, would I need crampons or just boots? This is the first time I have done Humpherys at all, so anything else we should keep in mind would be great as well. Thanks!
Read more : Humphery's Peak | Views : 22752 | Replies : 56

wheeler peak, nevada....road is open!

hey to all bc skiers.....didn't want to be selfish so thought I'd post this.....spent the last week in great basin backcountry and the corn situation was beyond words.....still freezing nicely above 9,500 at night and warming nicely during the day....coverage above that altitude looks like mid-winter, not mid-spring ......and now the road to the trailhead at 10,000 feet was opened on monday!.......spent most of my time in upper snake creek and mt washington areas skiing ...
Read more : wheeler peak, nevada....road is open! | Views : 4800 | Replies : 8

Wheeler Peak Condition?

Hi! Would love to know the current snow condition at Wheeler Peak in Taos... Planned to hike on May 26th, not sure if I should bring snowshoes (don't want to unless necessary)...anyone knows?

Thanks!
Alex
Read more : Wheeler Peak Condition? | Views : 4711 | Replies : 8

Kendrick Peak

Hey all. I'm currently visiting my aunt in Flagstaff and am looking into a possible hike of Kendrick. I'm from NY and don't really know the area, well, I'll get to the point. I was curious if anyone in the area would be interested in partnering up for a hike. I'm a 19 year old college kid and I'm in good hiking shape. The only problem I can see is possibly elevation, but I've been ...
Read more : Kendrick Peak | Views : 1582 | Replies : 1

Canadian man missing, Elko Co, NV

Search teams scoured canyons and mountainsides for the missing husband of a rescued Canadian woman who survived for seven weeks on just snacks and water after they became stranded in remote northeastern Nevada.

Rita Chretien, 56, was discovered on Friday in the couple's van which was mired in mud on a national forest logging road in Elko County, authorities said.

The woman, who lost considerable weight but was hospitalized in fair condition, told investigators the ...
Read more : Canadian man missing, Elko Co, NV | Views : 1487 | Replies : 2

Christmas Mountains (TX) now open!

I have some great news regarding the Christmas Mountains of far-west Texas: legal access is now available through a waiver program via the Terlingua Ranch, which is located immediately northeast of the range.

Terlingua Ranch website: http://www.terlinguaranch.com/index.html. Click here to learn how to (a) get there and (b) go about getting a waiver/permit into the Christmas Range. They have reopened their operation including their cafe and cabins for rent. My wife and I stayed there ...
Read more : Christmas Mountains (TX) now open! | Views : 2712 | Replies : 0

Grand Canyon Royal Arch route

Has anyone been on the Royal Arch / South Bass loop lately?
I have questions:
- How's the drive in? Can I do it in a Subaru Outback (if dry)?
- Where did you find water?
- Is there a fixed rope on the "rappel"?
Thanks!
Read more : Grand Canyon Royal Arch route | Views : 1594 | Replies : 2

Snow levels around Flagstaff?

Wondering if anyone has approximations as to the current snow levels on the peaks around Flagstaff. Going to be down in your 'hood next week and trying to figure out what higher peaks, if any, to bag. Won't have snowshoes or crampons, etc. If anyone's been out and about in that area and has any observations they could post, would appreesh. Thanks!
Read more : Snow levels around Flagstaff? | Views : 6702 | Replies : 15

Summit wedding officiant for ABQ or Santa Fe area?

Hey everyone,

(Pardon the taboo of cross-posting this on a few forums, NM stuff tends to get buried and I want to ensure this gets good visibility.)

My fiancee and I have decided to have a tiny private wedding ceremony on a local peak. I thought I knew of an officiant that I had climbed with in the past, but was bummed to find out that she's no longer performing ceremonies.

Does anyone have any ...
Read more : Summit wedding officiant for ABQ or Santa Fe area? | Views : 1525 | Replies : 0

Boundary Peak - Queen Mine Route Boundary Peak - Queen Mine Route

Does anyone have current info on snow and route conditions on the Queen Mine route of Boundary Peak? We're heading there this weekend, so just trying to get all the info I can. The ranger I spoke with today didn't have much. I guess there isn't much traffic up there this time of year.
Read more : Boundary Peak - Queen Mine Route | Views : 1695 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557948 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136405