It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:47 pm

News News of Technique and Training

Site map of Technique and Training » Forum : Technique and Training

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

A hammer for an ice tool

An alpine hammer used to be a standard tool.

Multi-use, lighter, and more compact than a second ice tool.

I still have one and carry it on occasion.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/threa ... _id=762638
Read more : A hammer for an ice tool | Views : 1213 | Replies : 0

Overlay topo maps in Google Earth

I thought this was really cool when I found it, so I wrote something up on how to overlay and use topo maps in Google Earth. Someone even made a way to overlay historical maps!!!
Read more : Overlay topo maps in Google Earth | Views : 7221 | Replies : 5

Climbing Stairs

So I live in North Dakota and I'm training for Rainier in April. The old saying about "train to climb by climbing" doesn't work here as we don't have any climbing opportunities. So I've been humping up our state capitol building with a light backpack. I started out doing 36 flights and I'm now up to 54 flights in about 20 minutes. I do about 3x/week with other light weight training/cardio mixed in.

Are there ...
Read more : Climbing Stairs | Views : 44994 | Replies : 53

multiple rib fractures

7 months after breaking 14 ribs in a fall down a lateral moraine, I still have chest pain and low energy. Has anyone had a comparable injury? If so, how long did recovery take?
Read more : multiple rib fractures | Views : 7693 | Replies : 6

Where to stow your nut tool?

Hey there,
Pretty new to trad climbing, actually, never been. But I bought some nuts and a tool. Just wondering the best way to rack it. I have it tied to some accessory chord but its so long, don't really wnate it hangin to get stuck. What do you guys do?
Thanks,
Matt
Read more : Where to stow your nut tool? | Views : 6794 | Replies : 13

Mt. Whitney "conditioning"?

Hello All,

I'm a new member, but semi-retired backpacker and peak climber trying to get back into scrambling up and down the local mountains and deserts.

My question is for any and all who have ascented Mt. Whitney other than snow covered and icy conditions. What sort of climbing would one suggest or recommend to make the climb to the top without suffering altitude related illnesses or injuires that would force one to turn back?
Read more : Mt. Whitney "conditioning"? | Views : 16723 | Replies : 30

Intervals during weight training?

I've seen some advice to maintain a high heartrate while doing resistance training, and workout systems like CrossFit, Mtn Athlete etc seem to advocate keeping a high intensity during resistance sessions as well.

However, this doesn't make sense to me. I would think that being able to focus entirely on form while during weights is more beneficial than doing the workout while feeling worked. Conversely, I'd rather do separate interval sessions where I can push ...
Read more : Intervals during weight training? | Views : 4009 | Replies : 4

Poo-Chi...

Not to be confused with Tai Chi. This is an abs workout you will never forget. Be sure to stick with it to the end - the best therapy is the last one...

Poo-Chi

I'm thinking this one will catch on in the training community in a big way.
Read more : Poo-Chi... | Views : 1394 | Replies : 3

Establishing Baseline Fitness

Just looking for opinions here. I am looking for a test/workout to establish my baseline fitness level, which I can then test intermittently as I progress through a training period (i.e. once a month or something for 6 months).

This used to be simple when I was running--you either ran a time trial or a race, or you ran an identical track workout and compared split times. However, there are several problems I'm running into: ...
Read more : Establishing Baseline Fitness | Views : 15678 | Replies : 21

skiing -- how to start without resorts

Hi guys,

I'm a climber in Colorado, and I want to start skiing, and I'm looking for some advice for how to get into it.

I realize that I could probably learn fastest by going to resorts, but I'm poor, and I figure that skiing existed before resorts, so it must be possible to learn how to ski without paying for lift tickets. (Also, I just like the solitude of the backcountry).

As I'm already ...
Read more : skiing -- how to start without resorts | Views : 13911 | Replies : 48

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557962 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136434