It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:51 pm

News News of Technique and Training

Site map of Technique and Training » Forum : Technique and Training

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

Heat management: sweating while still feeling cold?

I've been experimenting running with my different layers while running to test breathability and managing my temperature. I've worn both fleeces and softshells while running in around 30 degree temps, and I felt they made me overheat and sweat somewhat during my runs.

So today I wore my Marmot Essence jacket, made of Marmot's proprietary fabric that is supposed to be almost breathable as eVent but is super light (< half pound). It was kinda ...
Read more : Heat management: sweating while still feeling cold? | Views : 13163 | Replies : 18

Achilles Tendon Tear

In early December, I sustained a complete tear of my right achilles tendon. I was warming up for climbing at JT by running up a boulder a few feet and jumping back down, something I've done frequently. On one of the attempts I bounded up from the ground and planted my foot at such an angle as to put too much force on my foot. I heard a snap that sounded like a tree branch ...
Read more : Achilles Tendon Tear | Views : 14410 | Replies : 24

Patella issue/Kneecap misallignment

Ok, here my story.

Last april, while running, someone challenged me to a sprint. What the heck I thought.

Afterwards, a little pain in my left knee. Ah well happens often I thought.

Next day, same problem, hmmm, it'll pass, right?

I continued running for some weeks, until I thought it wise to stop running because the pain wasn't diminishing.

Fast forward to september. After 2 weeks of trekking and bouldering in the French Alps, ...
Read more : Patella issue/Kneecap misallignment | Views : 36452 | Replies : 29

running barefoot

I remember reading some interesting posts about the value of running barefoot vs wearing running shoes because they can damage the knees. Here's some interesting recent science. http://sportsmedupdates.blogspot.com/20 ... knees.html
Read more : running barefoot | Views : 10123 | Replies : 34

Steve House's Training Blog

Well, it seems the Great Lord of Alpinisim has decided to unveil his training secrets to the world... Impressive stuff. I'm sure all you training maniacs will love this read-as i did!

http://www.stevehouse.net/Site/Training ... ntry..html
Read more : Steve House's Training Blog | Views : 6353 | Replies : 12

Leading questions

If the leader climbs higher than half the rope length he can no longer be lowered from that height should he need to bail, correct? So, if you are higher than half the rope length and need to bail I can think of the following options:

1) remove pro as you down climb.

2) remove pro and down climb until the belayer has at least half the rope, then you could be lowered.

3) build ...
Read more : Leading questions | Views : 7255 | Replies : 24

Christmas was good to me, now I need help

My little brothers got me a set of Metolius Rock Rings (thanks guys, you hit the nail on the head) and now I need some engineering/construction advice.

I'm going to mount them in my basement. The basement once was a young boy's dream, no carpeting, just cement ceiling and walls, exposed 2x4 framing on the ceiling, and some uncovered I-beams for pullups. Unfortunately, it got finished a couple years ago, carpeting put in, drywall installed, ...
Read more : Christmas was good to me, now I need help | Views : 3233 | Replies : 9

NordicTrack Incline Trainer?

Circumstances keep me out of the mountains until next May, but looking for a way to stay prepared physically. At the same time, my wife is looking for a home fitness machine. The only machine that seems to fit both of our needs is an incline trainer. Has anyone used one of these to train for hiking in the mountains? We tried one out in the store for a few minutes the other day and ...
Read more : NordicTrack Incline Trainer? | Views : 13841 | Replies : 18

Training tip of the day – you choose…

…which one works best for you :?:
I’ve tried some of these (I won’t say which :roll: ), but I prefer performance enhancing Flaming Hot Cheetos :lol: to any of these options.
1. Stop Washing The Dishes
2. Make someone else flake your rope
3. Cut Your hair
4. The ...
Read more : Training tip of the day – you choose… | Views : 2462 | Replies : 4

Train for pulling a sled

Hey all,

Any advice on reorganizing some rope, a big tyre and a few bolts into something I can train with to get used to pulling a sled ?
And do people use chest harness's on Denali or just attach the sled to their climbing harness?

Thanks
Read more : Train for pulling a sled | Views : 21127 | Replies : 22

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557962 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136434