Northern California Hiking Community

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
genadinik

Northern California Hiking Community

by genadinik » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:15 am

Hi all,

Some time ago I noticed that too many sites charged money to form hiking groups and I think it created a significant barrier to people joining and creating hiking communities.

So with that in mind, I created a hiking community site for Northern California. I'd really appreciate feedback and comments.

The site is http://www.hikingsanfrancisco.com/
Thanks,
Alex

ps - if anyone is already part of hiking groups elsewhere, I'd love to hear your take on things.

NewDayRising

by NewDayRising » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:31 am

There are plenty of free hiking group groups in the Bay Area (bayareahiking, confused, stanfordoutingclub, outdoorsclub, inch, meetups, plus many more I haven't hike with).

The real problem is having a dedicated group of organizers who don't get burned out with the organizing.

yosemiteforlife67

Re: Northern California Hiking Community

by yosemiteforlife67 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:59 pm

That is great, is there any plans for hiking groups, out in the sierra's? I live in the sierra foothills, and there are quite a few hikes, short and long in the Lake Tahoe area as well as the Yosemite area.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:06 am

1000Pks wrote:Almost no one has any use for hiking bumps or seeing wild places now. Most hiking destinations are well photographed and seen on the Net.

The local enviro club peak climbs were a cover for their NV cathouses visits, then later, as far as hikes, for some, ops for available women and guys with money. Those that seemed not to do that were mentally ill or with some issues.

If you need exercise, jog or bike. If you like clean air, don't drive cars. If you wish views, I have plenty at my own website. Adventure, get on the Net. If after this you still want to climb a mountain, I'm here. I get almost no one!

With that kind of an intro, it's not at all surprising you don't get calls Pete. Plenty of us are getting out regularly, hiking bumps and seeing wild places, all without visiting cathouses or mental health issues. I'm looking to do something easy on the west side of the range next Friday, want to come along?

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:47 am

Bob Burd wrote:Plenty of us are getting out regularly, hiking bumps and seeing wild places, all without visiting cathouses or mental health issues.

I second that. Although, when 23.9999-hour dayhikes are involved, the statement about mental health issues is debatable. :lol:

Here is a photo for Bob that I took a week and a half ago (date in filename):

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:03 am

1000Pks wrote:Sorry, I meant to say in and about SacTown now. The OP refers to Northern CA/Sierra Foothills, that's local enviro club terrain. There are plenty of climbers and peak baggers, just not here any more. Or few and rare. Not all 100 or so subscribers to our peak newsletter back then were into prostitution, some were just plain lonely singles.

But then there were fools quickly parted with large sums of money, risking infections of potentially fatal diseases, taking their trips to Hell, and still having to go back time after time, by them. Hope no one here is like that, but this is getting to be big time crime, locally. Sordid news all of the time. I think the real reason that people here avoid me is because I am not going to those places or partaking in similar sex ops as it seems most all else!

That must be it. They're all avoiding you because you don't swing.

It's funny you mention prostitution again like it's something you need to be concerned with. What happens sexually between consenting adults is none of your or anyone's business. None whatsoever.

The following user would like to thank Day Hiker for this post
Vertigo soul

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:40 am

1000Pks wrote:Bob, there is a slight chance I'll be on the east side late next week, but have to see how things go. Plans, weather, and all. I'll be even more loaded than ever, and you will have to wait. Looking at Whitney 5X but it'll have to be seen. Maybe a trail hike up some east side TH, or a easy peak. But I doubt it. I'll be in contact, PM me if you must.

Sorry, we'll be on the west side, not the east side. Have fun with Whitney though.

If anyone wants to join Matthew and I for a visit to Balloon Dome on Friday, you're most welcome to join. Email snwbord@hotmail.com for details. We're not taking ropes, just looking to do the class 3 route on the south/southeast side. 20-22miles, 6,000ft of gain. Ought to be able to see the top of the gonola on Mammoth Mtn from the summit, among other vistas.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:10 am

Bob Burd wrote:
1000Pks wrote:Bob, there is a slight chance I'll be on the east side late next week, but have to see how things go. Plans, weather, and all. I'll be even more loaded than ever, and you will have to wait. Looking at Whitney 5X but it'll have to be seen. Maybe a trail hike up some east side TH, or a easy peak. But I doubt it. I'll be in contact, PM me if you must.

Sorry, we'll be on the west side, not the east side. Have fun with Whitney though.

If anyone wants to join Matthew and I for a visit to Balloon Dome on Friday, you're most welcome to join. Email snwbord@hotmail.com for details. We're not taking ropes, just looking to do the class 3 route on the south/southeast side. 20-22miles, 6,000ft of gain. Ought to be able to see the top of the gonola on Mammoth Mtn from the summit, among other vistas.

I would love to go Bob but my daughter has soccer this weekend.
Troy

cp0915

by cp0915 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:39 pm

Neophiteat48 wrote:I would love to go Bob but my daughter has soccer this weekend.
Troy

Wait. Who's Bob?

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:19 pm

Neophiteat48 wrote:I would love to go Bob but my daughter has soccer this weekend.
Troy

Should be no problem. We're going there early Friday am, plan to be back Friday late afternoon. Plenty of time for soccer on the weekend. :)

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Bob Burd wrote:
Troy

Should be no problem. We're going there early Friday am, plan to be back Friday late afternoon. Plenty of time for soccer on the weekend. :)

The problem is the dang game is all the way up in Arcata and because of that drive, we are leaving Thursday, camping and making a long weekend out of it. Thanks again.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:58 pm

My goodness... :shock: er... I mean... :roll:

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:39 pm

mrchad9 wrote:My goodness... :shock: er... I mean... :roll:

Well, let me think about this..........Chad might be right. Maybe I will tell my daughter and family, sorry you're on your own this week.
Have a good game Shelley, hope you play well. :lol:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Excuse me? How many trips have you bailed on? And how many have you followed through with?

One day away does not equal neglectful dad.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:18 pm

Oh, the kid's sporting events with mandatory attendance. I can see those in my future. I suspect they're kind of hard to miss.

Right now, DayHikerJr is only 3, so when I go away, all I miss are days full of Spider-Man toys being thrown at the cat.

Next

Return to California