Overnight trip Sierra Nevada with a dog suggestion

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Funyan005

Overnight trip Sierra Nevada with a dog suggestion

by Funyan005 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:28 am

Hey all, hoping someone might have some suggestions.
I'm looking for an overnight, or maybe 2 night trip somewhere on the west side that allows dogs.

I don't mind the distance or elevation gain, but would like to get up to some granite and a lake with limited crowds. I realize this is no small task - I'm willing to put some solid distance in to reach any destination. I understand this is all weather permitting prior to winter as well.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

no avatar
fogey

Re: Overnight trip Sierra Nevada with a dog suggestion

by fogey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:44 am

The dog is not an issue in the national forests, but is generally not permitted in the national parks--there must be some exceptions but the general rule is simple.

You don't say when you'd be going out, but the crowds have thinned and will thin out more--as long as you stay away from the Muir Trail you probably won't see many people, and off-trail you probably won't see anyone.

Hopefully someone will chime in with specific suggestions, but I spend as much of my mountain time as I can at or above treeline, which means mostly east side starts. Do watch out for fire-affected areas; the Rough Fire in particular scorched a chunk of the Sierra National Forest west of Kings Canyon NP.

colinr

by colinr » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:56 am

Generally, as long as you avoid hiking in Yosemite National Park and SEKI NP, dogs are allowed in the Sierra. Crowds should not be an issue until next summer. Even at sometimes popular trailheads, you can usually find solitude by hiking in far, and especially by hiking cross country.

Coming from the north and looking for scenic granite and lakes, Desolation Wilderness (southwest Tahoe) is probably your easiest option. Its low elevation and proximity to Highway 50 make it a relatively safe option in case of bad weather, yet it has a reputation for great scenery. Similar, but farther south, is Emigrant Wilderness (Gianelli Cabin TH or Kennedy Meadows TH).
Unless it is a case of been there, done that, Desolation is probably a more convenient option for you. Search http://www.highsierratopix.com for tips on the best campsites and most scenic loops/hikes.

Farther south and higher, Maxson TH from Courtright Reservoir would give an ambitious hiker a chance to start in granite and get into the High Sierra along the LeConte or White Divides if you have solidly good weather forecasts. If looking for something easier, Cliff Lake TH or other Dinkey Lakes Wilderness THs would give you lakes, granite , and big views of the High Sierra, especially from atop peaks. There is some risk of haze from the Rough Fire, especially if you get winds from the south.

There are several other options south of YNP and north of SEKI, but the drives get longer &/or rougher to the point that going with the other suggestions first, or to the Eastern Sierra, is probably better when coming from up north.

no avatar
rickvena

by rickvena » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:44 am

Check out Sword Lake. EZ hike. Great location. Lots-o-granite.

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:21 pm

Sallie Keyes Lakes, from the Florence Lake TH. You can stop off at Blaney Mdw for a dip in the hot springs!

no avatar
kceastsparks

by kceastsparks » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:23 am

I just spent two nights in the Shasta-Trinity Alps near Redding with my two dogs. I saw three people the whole time, weather was perfect, trails and lakes were awesome. I totally understand your struggle and I think this is going to be my go-to spot from now on. It's massive with great trails everywhere. The only thing I'd recommend is buying a map before you go. Only Forester Service stations carry them and with my luck they were closed. A guy at the local gear shop in Redding let me take pictures of his but I definitely need to get one for my next trip. Post back with what you find!!

no avatar
Funyan005

by Funyan005 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:51 pm

Appreciate the responses guys, specially those areas more on the west side.

I'm living in SLO county - which is kind of a bummer for getting to the Sierra - I miss the east side. I've never really explored the west side and am trying to find some cool places to go before winter here. Any more suggestions will be helpful!

As for the Shasta Trinity - I miss up north. I just moved from Humboldt county and the trinity alps/Shasta Trinity was my stomping grounds for a few years. Beautiful country!
Desolation wilderness a bit too far north for my desires right now - and I was lucky enough to spend the summer in tahoe and was lucky enough to have plenty of time to explore.

Sword lake/ Sally Keyes look like definite possibilities!! Just googled maxson TH - that's definitely a good start and I love the high peaks. The weather is a concern - but I've got a jeep with snow tires so should be ok for mild stuff.

colinr

by colinr » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Oh, coming from SLO? That makes more sense as far as specifying western Sierra as opposed to the mountains of far northern California. Actually, your access to dog friendly Sierra is pretty good within 3-5 hours, especially with a jeep. Check out Sierra National Forest for permit and road information and Sequoia NF for stuff to the south.

When you have a full to long weekend or more, check out western High Sierra John Muir Wilderness access from HWY 168/Shaver Lake to Courtright, Wishon, Florence, and Edison Reservoirs. A gate closes in late fall just beyond Huntington Lake (often around Thanksgiving, but variable depending on weather).

As far as shorter trips into smaller wilderness areas, Dinkey Lakes can be accessed from Willow Meadow TH on dirt roads as well as via Cliff Lake TH from Courtright on smooth roads. A gate closes near Courtright once too much snow sticks in late fall.

Maxson TH is probably your quickest High Sierra access in terms of driving, but the best lakes are a bit of a hike in.

If you want to get out sometime when gates close/are at risk for closing for the winter due to snow, or just want a slightly quicker drive, check out Kaiser Wilderness by Huntington Lake. There are nice views of the High Sierra from up on the peaks and decent granite lakes.

The drive gets a bit long beyond Kaiser Pass, but
I agree that Sallie Keyes Lake would be great. Additionally, with a jeep, you can easily reach some dirt road options. From Florence Lake area, consider Hooper Diversion TH to Chamberlain Lake or Hooper Lake area around Mt. Hooper. Bear Creek Trailhead gives you access to a slew of spectacular High Sierra Lakes both on and off trail. Also consider Onion Springs TH to Margaret Lakes area or Graveyard Lakes from Lake Edison.

As a quick stop/hike sometime, check out White Bark Vista and especially the views from Mt. Givens. Don't go beyond the vista in your jeep unless prepared for the famed Dusy-Ershim route and you want to drive slower than you can walk.

Also worthwhile is Ansel Adams Wilderness via Beasore Road above Bass Lake. Norris/Fernandez TH's to the lakes near Madera Peak can be a nice loop from Lillian and Lady Lakes to Burro and Jackass Lakes. Even better if you have time to get far in, is Isberg TH up Long and/or Bench Canyons to Long Mountain-Foerster Peak area. Beasore Road does close, but I don't think there is a gate. If snow is deep, the good stuff is too far in by road and trail to be an easy option. Besides nice lakes, there are awesome views of the Ritter-Minarets region.

Beyond those, there is Jennie Lakes Wilderness, which I find somewhat less spectacular than the stuff above, but
it is accessible almost anytime from Stony Creek area or in late spring-fall from forest roads to Big Meadows, Fox Meadows, Rowell Meadows, and Marvin Pass THs.

While not as celebrated for lakes, there's also much granite to be found in Domelands and Golden Trout Wilderness areas in the southern Sierra near and along the Forks of the Kern River.

Via Bakersfield, Horseshoe Meadow & Cottonwood Lakes area around Mt. Langley might not be too far from you.

no avatar
Funyan005

by Funyan005 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:13 pm

I was under the assumption that access to the east side from where I am(north of San Luis Obispo) was pretty damn far, just google mapped to cottonwood lakes and its only a little over 5 1/2 hours, think Dinkey Lakes was a bit over 4 hours. So not too shabby! I haven't been back to Cottonwood lakes in a while...

Dinkey Lakes is looking like a winner so far unless I find something else that looks just as beautiful. Afraid of the crowds tho as it seems a pretty easy hike

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:30 pm

I've hiked twice in the Dinkey Lakes area during the fall and never saw another soul..

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:23 am

Dinkey Lakes would be a great option. Enjoy

no avatar
Funyan005

by Funyan005 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:22 pm

I'm heading up to Dinkey Lakes this week finally, anyone have recommendations for the best lake to camp at? I'm also taking a fishing pole if anyone has any suggestions for the best lake too!

Thanks all

danmerrick

by danmerrick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:33 am

A couple weeks ago I drove up to Granite Creek and hiked to Isberg Pass. I didn't see anybody. Drive to North Fork, then to the end of the paved Sierra Scenic Byway. The trail head is on Granite Creek near the Granite Creek Campground - better check a map. Long drive but a great area that is seldom visted. Send me a PM for more detail. This is the Ansel Adams Wilderness. Another hike might be to Sheep Crossing on the San Joaquin River.

Return to California