Owens Valley Solar Park?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:23 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:I'd rather go for conservation, reduced usage. (And as BIADH says, point of use PV -- but I've inquired about that, and with subsidies, it would be 30k for my house.)

Somebody is trying to rip you off. My dad had his house done (roughly 3K sq ft, and his cost was just over $14K when he was done with rebates/tax credits, etc.) He should have it paid for in a few more years. He basically cools his house free of charge in the summer, and has tiny bills in the winter. He also has a solar water heating system, with a 100g storage tank that circulates.

PM the name of the contractor!

dyusem

by dyusem » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:41 am

Bright Source Energy is one of the companies that are building large plants which house mirrors that reflect sunlight onto a boiler's pipes converting the water to superheated steam:

http://www.brightsourceenergy.com/about_us

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:59 pm

I've read that the LADWP wants to cover Owens Lake with solar panels (PV presumably), mainly for dust abatement, with power as a side benefit. Right now they must pump a lot of water on the lakebed to meet air quality standards.

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:17 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I've read that the LADWP wants to cover Owens Lake with solar panels (PV presumably), mainly for dust abatement, with power as a side benefit. Right now they must pump a lot of water on the lakebed to meet air quality standards.

Aesthetically that might be ugly as hell but putting it there makes some sense. I don't think the land provides any habitat for anything right now and they might be able to use the miles of land currently used for shooting the water to LA for the transmission lines.

fossana

by fossana » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:41 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I've read that the LADWP wants to cover Owens Lake with solar panels (PV presumably), mainly for dust abatement, with power as a side benefit. Right now they must pump a lot of water on the lakebed to meet air quality standards.

Makes perfect sense, pump the water from the local aquifer to remediate the damage from diverting the natural source upstream. The only redeeming thing about LADWP is that they still allow access to the Gorge.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:25 am

fossana wrote:

Makes perfect sense, pump the water from the local aquifer to remediate the damage from diverting the natural source upstream. The only redeeming thing about LADWP is that they still allow access to the Gorge.

Crazy. And they're partially using that water in S. CA to irrigate GRASS in an ARID CLIMATE. What a waste. They allow that same lawn-watering crap here in Vegas too, while blabbering about a "drought" and water shortage. It's really irritating.

Previous

Return to California