Panning For Gold

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Gorg

Panning For Gold

by Gorg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:38 pm

I have been looking for a summer job, but it's hard in this economy, so I hatched a brilliant plan. I could back pack all around the mountains this summer panning for Gold. This sounds like a sweet job because i could wander around the mountains all summer and still make money.
Does anyone know if this might actually work?

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:59 pm

It wouldn't, but it would sure make a great story to tell on yourself later, or maybe put on a college app! Here's where you can do it: http://www.akmining.com/mine/chugach.htm

lcarreau

Re: Panning For Gold

by lcarreau » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:18 pm

Gorg wrote:I have been looking for a summer job, but it's hard in this economy, so I hatched a brilliant plan. I could back pack all around the mountains ...

Old Italian phrase:

"Dove l’oro parla, ogni lingua tace." Where gold speaks, every tongue is silent.

Best of luck ...

Wallylongridge

by Wallylongridge » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:23 pm

I had a friend who panned for Gold all summer in the Sierra in the early 80's, after about 3 months me made $2800.00. He said it was the hardest thing he had very done. He was cold every day, being in the water a lot. Good Luck and Don't pan on anyone's Stake.

McCannster

by McCannster » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:42 pm

+1 on not panning on anybody's claim. People get very territorial over their claims, and you especially have to be careful in the more remote areas, but the idea is a great one. You will find yourself panning in some of the most prettiest river gorges in the West. The entire length of the foothills north to south, from elevations from 1000 to 4000 feet are sweet. Hot in the summer.

Arthur Digbee

Re: Panning For Gold

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Gorg wrote:I have been looking for a summer job, but it's hard in this economy, so I hatched a brilliant plan. I could back pack all around the mountains this summer panning for Gold. This sounds like a sweet job because i could wander around the mountains all summer

That sounds like a great job, and a wonderful way to spend the summer.

Gorg wrote:and still make money.

That might be the weak link in the plan.

If you can afford to spend a summer in which you fail to find gold, then go for it. If you actually find any, it's gravy.

T Mac

by T Mac » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:50 pm

I took my out-of-state younger brother panning one time at the Phoenix mine. Gave me a respect for anyone who could succeed at it as my knees gave out after a while.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Hey, whatever floats your boat. You might find something, so ya won't have to sink !!!

My younger brother wanted to find some gold, but he didn't receive enough encouragement.

Take one day at a time - you can only go forward, never back!

glacierpaul

by glacierpaul » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:08 pm

+1 on the Phoenix Mine in Idaho Springs. Al Mosch the owner, is a friend. Go and take his tour, do the panning(like T-Mac), then see if you really want to do this. There is another old mining guy that is already doing this very thing in Clear Creek County now, he considers it his part-time job. One good nugget, or ounces and ounces of dust, and your life can change. Or, buy a claim and start digging around, there is still LOTS of gold in them there hills!!!!, and streams!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck!

ClimbandMine

by ClimbandMine » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:26 pm

It'll give ya a new respect for hard work, and the old timers who settled Colorado. There is some gold left, but many of the streams contain claims that are owned by some pretty protective folks, and you'd never know it. You might try it and see if you can stand 10 hours with your hands and feet in a cold stream before you commit to it.

Gold might be over $1000 an ounce (less the 20% cut the dealer takes), but you'd be surprised how much an ounce is who you have to pan / sluice flakes, a few at a time, to make your lunch out of it.

Return to Colorado