Pinacles to become new NP?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
mungeclimber

by mungeclimber » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:09 pm

If the new designation means moving the HQ to the West Side and plowing under that beautiful meadow just to allow more RVs access to the West Side, then I don't support it.

I'd really like to hear from some NM employees on this issue.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:25 pm

I think the whole protection issue is sort of a non-starter. Most of the area is already a designated wilderness, which is a more sacrosanct layer of protection than NP status. What difference would the promotion make?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:59 am

Bubba Suess wrote:I think the whole protection issue is sort of a non-starter. Most of the area is already a designated wilderness, which is a more sacrosanct layer of protection than NP status. What difference would the promotion make?

I still haven't heard a single coherent arguement as to how a change in status helps to conserve or protect anything, as you point out. I didn't realize people went around shooting condors except if the map labels the area 'National Park'.

And now BIADH backs it up with FACTS!

1000Pks wrote:I heard by a ranger or someone that Pinnacles was considered a hellhole to work at, being that you had to live in a crummy place

WHO CARES!!! I'm not for dumping a bunch of tax dollars in so a ranger can have a plum job! If a ranger works at a hellhole, then fantastic. Lots of other people have to work in hellholes too. And making it a park isn't going to change where they live. Near Pinnacles will always be a crummy place to live regardless.

1000Pks wrote:and it is hot for much of the year..

Maybe you think a change in status will keep it from being hot for so much of the year, but I don't. They tried it for Death Valley, still just as hot as it was before. Another gov't failure.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:10 am

1000Pks wrote:Some consider happy employees good workers. I like experienced, knowledgable help.

Why do you need 'help' from a ranger at Pinnacles?

1000Pks wrote:More money means better air, I had to work myself in 113 degrees and wouldn't wish that on anyone. Instead of wasteful inefficient offices, they can get energy upgrades and help out conservation with solar and wind, all costing hard cash, btw. It's Hell working in a kiosk when its 100 degrees outside, it's not a plum job like Tioga Pass entrance station. Pinnacles never closes as does DV, it's near murder to work under such conditions. Ditto for some other parks/monuments. They deserve a break, I'll give them one. Good help means a well-run park.

Yeah... I remember seeing all the solar panels and windmills last weekend as I drove over Tioga Pass.

DV doesn't close. Open 24/7/365.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:25 am

1000Pks wrote:Unless they run it differently now, last I heard, DV shuts down from late April to October. No facilities or anything open.

Open all year, including summer. I have first-hand experience of this every summer since 1993 (when still a N.M., by the way), but I highly doubt it was different in 1992 and before.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:28 am

If you would read Day Hiker's post more carefully, you would see that becoming a park has nothing to do with it.

1000Pks wrote:it's nice to have someone anywhere who knows what they are doing.

We agree on that, but I would NOT consider a national park ranger to meet that qualification, nor would many other folks I know.
There may be an exception here and there, but I haven't found one yet.

1000Pks wrote:Please do not reply or respond further, or I will aggressively seek to have you banned.

Good luck with your endeavor!!!

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:08 am

MLCkills wrote:When I reached the 9th circle of membership, the secret meaning "MLC" was revealed to me in an unholy ceremony of condor boiling and eagle gang-rape: Majorum Luciferase Cummilum, the dark cult of ancient horror that brought the end of the Roman Empire, toppled many other civilizations, and found a way to crush the spirit of mankind in every era of recorded history. Some say its true roots reach unimaginable horrors, masters of a great yet horrible race trapped within the icy prisons of the poles, still able to pull and push their human marionettes with tentacles invisibly moving through the shadows and the ether. With its machinations ongoing since the beginnings of mankind MLC, continuously furthers its ultimate agenda of...

So maybe a National HistoricalPark is in order here? Memo to Senator Ma'am...

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:44 pm

MLCkills wrote:continuously furthers its ultimate agenda of...

AGW.

LOL!!! :D

fedak

by fedak » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:13 pm

MLCkills- that was priceless :)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:50 pm

anita wrote:so what's the MLC SC anyway?

It's the "Mother Lode Chapter - Sierra Club."

And, YOU just opened up one of these :

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:57 pm

And what is wrong with the MLC SC, other than that they support the bringing of horses into the wilderness?

PreviousNext

Return to California