Recommendations for April Day Hike in Sequoia NP

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
TrappedInNJ

Recommendations for April Day Hike in Sequoia NP

by TrappedInNJ » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Hello!

I have a chance to do a day hike in Sequoia National Park during the first week of April. I have been doing some research both here and on the NPS site for day hikes, but it’s a bit overwhelming.

As I mentioned, I am looking for a recommendation for a day hike, anything up to Class 2 will work since my wife will be with me. Ideally looking for something less than 12 miles roundtrip. We are staying in Visalia, which is about an hour away from the park. A friend of mine who lives out there recommended seeing the General Sherman tree, and just staying in that area, but would prefer to do something a bit more away from the droves of tourists.

My biggest concern is the weather—I’m not quite sure what to expect in April. From what I’ve read online, the weather in the daytime can be anywhere from the 30’s to the 50’s. Does this sound correct? Do we need to bring snowshoes?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,
-Ryan

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Ryan,

You will almost assuredly need snowshoes or skis at that time of year. You can hike a few miles over snow packed by other visitors, but anything more than about a mile from the trailheads will likely be unpacked snow, hard in the morning, soft and postholing by afternoon.

The two most popular visits in spring, I think, are Alta Peak and Mt. Silliman, both class 1-2. Here is TR for Silliman in late April from two years ago to give you an idea what to expect. Weather during the day is usually quite pleasant by that time of year, with the usual caveat that storms could come in and mess things up. Luckily these storms are predictably forecast in advance and you should know before driving up there what to expect. Expect freezing temps at night, 40-50F during the day. A great time to visit, btw, I'd highly recommend it.

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Alta Peak would be snowy but fun. I think it's something like 14 miles round trip.

EManBevHills

by EManBevHills » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi TrappedInNJ,

Part of the wonder of being in Sequoia is spending time in the presence of the Trees.
As you will not be there in high season, the hordes you are concerned about ought not to be an issue. Besides, most of the tourists do not venture far from the parking lots!

The vistas are spectacular as well. So rather than planning on a 12 mile r/t hike, you might want to think about Plan B: getting an early start and visiting a couple of areas such as Morrow Rock and the Grove of your choice. A lot will depend on the weather conditions, as DMT mentioned.

You will definitely want to bring along snowshoes or x-country skis. And if you are heading into the backcountry, avy gear as well.

Oh, since you are not familiar with the California board, you need to know that Bob Burd organizes an annual event, "The Sierra Challenge", where extraordinarily fit athletes "day hike" remote and difficult peaks -- under 24 hours car to car -- on sequential days. Accordingly, you need to realize that Bob's reported trip times are not good approximations for mere mortals! :twisted:

Have a great trip. It's a wonderful time of year to be there.

Ernie (formerly from West Milford)
Last edited by EManBevHills on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrappedInNJ

by TrappedInNJ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:53 pm

Awesome, thank you so much for your suggestions, really appreciate it!

Can't wait to check it out! Will be sure to post a TR afterwards.

thegib

by thegib » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:36 am

The road down to Cedar Grove/Road's End isn't likely to open till the end of April. Even the 3 mile road to Crescent Meadow, off the General's Highway, will be closed in early April. You can certainly hike out a portion of the High Sierra Trail, on snowshoes, catch some good views, go through a grove of Big Trees. I'd second, or third, Alta or Siliman Pks. Be sure to give yourself all day to do them.

iHartMK

by iHartMK » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:19 pm

The foothills of Sequoia NP are beautiful in April! Creeks flowing everywhere, wildflowers galore and everything is GREEN! Unlike most of the year when the foothills are hot and full of rattlesnakes.
I live in Visalia and this time of the year I do all my hiking, mountain biking and bouldering in the foothills. I would recommend either the Middle Fork Trail or the Ladybug Trail. Both are lower elevation and will be snowfree. I can't remember if there is Giant Sequoias on the Middle Fork Trail, but there are on the Ladybug Trail, at the end of the trail... 5 miles in, at the seldom visited South Fork Grove. I love this trail, waterfalls, ladybugs, wildflowers and lots of wildlife... and not many people. It's more of a "locals" trail. It's where we go when we want to enjoy the Park without all the LA people :D

Make sure you check out downtown Visalia while you're here, it's something special!
email me and I will give you more insight on where to eat and stay and other info on the Park.
Will Hart
willchart@gmail.com

Return to California