Peak suggestions (12k/13k) for this weekend?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
tarushbali

Peak suggestions (12k/13k) for this weekend?

by tarushbali » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:49 am

Hi

I'm thinking of doing a backpacking trip from SF to the Sierras and maybe do a peak over the weekend. Any suggestions? Thinking of doing something similar to Conness, Matterhorn or Abbot (short enough to be comfortable for a weekend and backpacking options fairly near a trailhead)?

Thanks!

Deb

Re: Peak suggestions (12k/13k) for this weekend?

by Deb » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:36 pm

Only because I just climbed Winchell yesterday, do I suggest it. Great camping in Sam Mack Mdw just under 7 miles from trailhead then a couple miles to the peak. Simple with reasonable elevation gain for 2 days. The North Fork trailhead also avails Alice, Kid, Buck, Temple Crag, Gayley, anything in the Palisades, as well as Robinson, Cloudripper, Sky Haven...too many to list.

thegib

Re: Peak suggestions (12k/13k) for this weekend?

by thegib » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:46 am

Mt. Johnson from Treasure col. Classic class 3 scramble over attractive rock. Mt. Gilbert is a long stone's throw away and super easy for a #2. Go to Bishop, Bishop pass TH, Treasure lakes is just 3 miles in, then follow the water up to the col. Mellow trip, nice peak.

Return to California