Rainier temperatures in July

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Wes Odom

Rainier temperatures in July

by Wes Odom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:58 pm

Hey guys. I've been trying to locate data records for day and night temperatures at/near camp muir in mid July. As well as the summit. I found the summit, although it wasn't a very thorough dataset, but i can't seem to find any information on camp muir... any help?

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Rainier temperatures in July

by Scott » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:09 am

Did you see this page?

http://www.summitpost.org/interesting-w ... its/171585

I found the summit, although it wasn't a very thorough dataset

If that is what you saw about the summit, it is unlikely that you could find anything more thorough as it actually took a lot of time to dig up the information. Although I spent many, many hours on it, there just isn't any other information for Rainier summit that I'm aware of.

That's about all the information I have been able to dig up on the temperatures on Rainier. I don't think there is any better source than this since the data is so hard to dig up.

For Camp Muir, I'd suspect that the average night is 7-10 degrees from the mean temperature and the average day is probably 7-10 degrees warmer than the mean, with different days varying 7-10 more degrees from either end of this. I do not know anywhere to find long term-low and high temperatures, only averages. The only thing to do would be to view the data each day and average them yourself (which is actually what I did for much of the information in the link).

In July, I'd expect night temperatures anywhere from the low 20's to mid 40's at Muir, and only occasionally out of this range.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:01 am

July is the hottest month in Washington, and has been getting hotter every year. Expect temperatures at the trailheads (elevations 5,000-5,500 feet) in the 70s, day time temps at camp Muir from the low 40s to 50s, and temps on the summit in the 20s-30s. High winds can make it feel much colder.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:41 am

So basically, an August evening at 5k in WY. ;-)

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:59 am

WyomingSummits wrote:So basically, an August evening at 5k in WY. ;-)

But wetter. :D

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)